Thread: How to create WindowBlind Screen for Windows 7.

How to create WindowBlind Screen for Windows 7.

I am trying to create a WindowBlind Screen for my PC. This is my 1st attempt at this and I am a bit paranoid that I will make some mistake that will mess the whole looks of the theme. Can someone give me tips that will help me avid mistake and problems that will affect my created theme? I wanted to know how to optimize the resolution of images to make them fit in different resolutions. Also how do I make the start menu translucent for giving it a good look?

Re: How to create WindowBlind Screen for Windows 7.

If you want a single image to be used and should be optimized according to the resolution set for the monitor, then you will have to make more than 1 image for the theme. When I create theme, I optimize the image for 7 to 11 screen resolutions. Get the image with highest resolution and go on reducing to create around 7 instances of it. You can use Photoshop or Windows Picture Manager for it. You can set the theme to detect the resolution and then launch the desired images. If the website on which you will be uploading the theme has the functionality to detect users screen resolution then you can make theme for single screen resolution only.

If you are using Photoshop for making the designs for Start Menu, then you can create the transparency using the alpha channels in Photoshop. I create the mask for desired look and use the alpha layers generated to create the transparency for my theme. You will need to save the image in .png format. This format helps to maintain the transparency of the image.

While making a theme, see to it that you maintain the shape of the userpane as it will be seen with every window and in most of the applications. Many users who try to create a theme make mistakes while making the user pane. They keep the top pane and the side and bottom panes separate. This gives option to control them separately and modify them individually. But when it comes to scaling of Window using this system, it creates a lot of problems. When using .png files for creating transparent backgrounds, see to it that the black color is used to denote the transparent area. Creating a smooth transition between black and white lets you develop a design with smooth transition between the visible and invisible area.

I recommend you to not experiment with the size of important components of Windows like the Task Manager. You should see to it that you don’t put heavy theme effects like animated logos or images on these components. These components are needed to work in any bad condition of the system. If every other application or processes of the PC are not responding, then these components still work. If you make them heavy, then chances of it not working when required will increase.

Don’t use completely transparent backgrounds as there become confusion between over facing windows. You can use blur or translucent backgrounds for your theme.