Thread: "file name too long" error message when try to install new icon packager on Windows 7

"file name too long" error message when try to install new icon packager on Windows 7

Hello friends, is there anyone who have some idea about installing the new icon packager on windows 7. Actually I do have some basic information for installing this packager but unfortunately I am unable to complete the task. Whenever I try to install the new packager it shows me an error message saying “file name too long”.

I already currently have a packager installed on my machine and due to this I am unable to install the new one. Is there anyone who can let me know the proper path for the icon themes on windows 7?

Currently they are at the following path: C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Documents\Stardock\IconPackager

Re: "file name too long" error message when try to install new icon packager on Windows 7

Not sure with solution as I have windows vista Ultimate 64 bit running on my machine and not windows 7. Anyways but looking at your sub folders name i.e. Application Data, I can only comment that they doesn’t seems to be right, just wanted to ask you whether those folders really exist. I mean, is anything present in those subfolders are they are just completely empty. Also if possible let me know which method you use to install the desired Icon Packager.

Re: "file name too long" error message when try to install new icon packager on Windows 7

I already currently have a packager installed on my machine and due to this I am unable to install the new one. Is there anyone who can let me know the proper path for the icon themes on windows 7?
    I am also on the same track but one step ahead, I can probably help you out with a proper path for the icon themes:
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Stardock\IconPackager

Once if you drag and drop the package in this folder your icon packager could easily see it and also you can use it. But I still do not understand why those extra and useless directories exist but I must say that there are lots of stuff present with that useless long string of application data.

Once if you drag and drop the package in this folder your icon packager could easily see it and also you can use it. But I still do not understand why those extra and useless directories exist but I must say that there is lots of stuff present with that useless long string of application data.
    I think those useless directories were created at the time when you were repairing the install; even I do not know how to get them out with no issues. Not sure about the main cause of this issue but I doubt that it must have happened but it seems like the icon packager got automatically installed. I can only suggest you to once try out uninstalling the Icon packager and then reinstall it from the store. If they are come up as a zipped file you can unzip it and then double click the icon packager so that you can start up with the installation process.

May I know what browser are you using in order to download the packager?

I do really appreciate your ideas and opinions but I really don’t want to purchase any kind of tool or delete any files. The only thing I need is to just restore the packager to some deserving location with no extra additional application data paths. Anyone who has already successfully installed May I know from them what you all have in this following folder: C:\program data/application data\stardock\iconpackager.
    May I know what browser are you using in order to download the packager?
    I actually used a firefox to download the package. When I downloaded, I got the zip on my desktop from where I choose to download. And then after I unzip when I click on the icon packager file, it opens and as expected the package do exist in it but the issue is that I cant find any preview and due to this unable to apply it. But when I drag and drop the complete folder in: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Stardock\IconPackager the packager works properly without any issue as expected.

There are some R&Ds done by me:
    • First of all on machines running windows 7 64bit the path: C:\program data/application data\stardock\iconpackager does not exist. You cant find any application data folder inside the program data.
    • The path: C:\ProgramData\Stardock\IconPackager also do not exist except for one file i.e. sig.bin
    • All the installed themes are found in: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Stardock\IconPackager
    • The path: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Stardock\IconPackager do exist with 3 more files i.e. backup folders.ini, backup.ini, and file icons.ini

First of all on machines running windows 7 64bit the path: C:\program data/application data\stardock\iconpackager does not exist. You can’t find any application data folder inside the program data.
    Once I get a sure shot confirmation that there is no such application data folders existing inside the program data folder, I will surely delete the entire folder after setting up the restore point. I still remember that it was actually created when I earlier performed a repair install of windows 7 64bit which was originally present in the windows old folder. I have other folders with the sig.bin. Maybe I myself is the main reason for this issue, I guess I moved the folder myself unknowingly. Already tried out install method which didn’t make any difference for me.

Dude I had the same problem, but I didn’t create a huge mess or broke my head here and there just followed my friend’s suggestion. You know what I did?
    • Simply deleted the folder then rebooted the system.
    • Ran JVC Powertools registry cleaner
    • Downloaded an Icon package
    • Installed it as explained
    • And done!!!