Thread: Windows 7 machine does not allow me to drag icons without having blue background around them

Windows 7 machine does not allow me to drag icons without having blue background around them

Currently there are two computers running at my home. both of them running windows XP and windows 7 respectively, and amongst both of them the one which is running windows XP is running smoothly without any issue whereas the one which is running windows 7 is creating a bit of issue with the icon drag and drop property.

Actually the thing is that my windows 7 system doesn’t allows me to drag and drop the icons without having the blue box or you can say background appear around those icons. The problem is that this blue background makes it quite difficult for me to make out where exactly those selected icons are going to be land in the folder. Happens everywhere, on the desktop whatever I icon I select gets the blue box around it but then I get the perfect placement where I want to drop the icon. Can anyone help me out with a appropriate solution.

Re: Windows 7 machine does not allow me to drag icons without having blue background around them

I did have the same issue; I can completely understand what exactly you are talking about. I too once got very much irritated with this issue. In my case, the icons which used to be look more 3D in the folder were unable to be dropped anywhere in it.
    Anyhow I did found a appropriate way in order to get rid of this issue, what I did was unchecked the option “use visual styles of windows”. But then this solution makes the system look too horrible.

Re: Windows 7 machine does not allow me to drag icons without having blue background around them

Actually the thing is that my windows 7 system doesn’t allows me to drag and drop the icons without having the blue box or you can say background appear around those icons. The problem is that this blue background makes it quite difficult for me to make out where exactly those selected icons are going to be land in the folder. Happens everywhere, on the desktop whatever I icon I select gets the blue box around it but then I get the perfect placement where I want to drop the icon. Can anyone help me out with a appropriate solution.
    Hey you are right; even I have noticed the same thing in my windows 7 system too. Whenever I drag a file to another location within the same folder I have noticed a blue box around the folder which has been selected, the most interesting thing is that this same behavior doesn’t happens in windows XP when you perform the same thing. And then when I try to place the folder back to the right place it becomes very much difficult for me make out where exactly the selected folder is going to be dropped in. there must be a definite solution in order to get rid of this behavior so that I can drag and place the icon easily within the folder.

Just by editing the image in the aero.msstyle you can probably be easily able to remove the blue box. You can change that by using a Windows Style Builder. The one which you will try is going to be a custom theme and you are suppose to try out the following ways in order to enable the custom theme for making everything work properly. Follow the following steps:
    Enable the Custom Theme in Windows 7-
    • Disable User Account Control
    • Download UxStyle Core Beta and save the file to a known location
    • Extract the files and run the installer that matches your architecture: x86 or x64
    • Follow up the on Screen instruction
    • Reboot the computer
    • Now Enable User Account Control again

Actually the issue is nothing but a Windows 7 property issue which makes the image or icon bigger when you drag them. I can also remove the blue box from the selected icon. Initially even I noticed that the icon or the folder that I use to select were getting bigger whenever I use to drag it, which actually makes it impossible sometimes to place that folder back to the correct place.
    I wish Microsoft however comes up with some more options in future and eliminate this issue somehow.

If the above trick doesn’t work then you might try out the one which is mentioned below:
    • First download and install either the 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) patcher for windows 7
    • Once downloaded run the exe
    • Then select your user interface language
    • Click OK
    • Now you will have to patch those three file that will be appearing in the window, click on the patch outside each file
    • Once done with the patching Reboot
    • Now you need to navigate to the windows folder, over there find the theme folder which is located inside the resource folder
    • Then paste the folders and themes provided and then those themes should be however appearing in your personalization menu.

Both the above given solution needs some of the other thing to be downloaded. For the first solution to be successfully implemented you need a UxStyle Core Beta, and you can get this UxStyle Core Beta from HERE.

And in the second solution i.e. the above post you need to get either of the 32bit patch or 64bit patch autoinstaller for your windows 7 system.

Enable the Custom Theme in Windows 7-
    • Disable User Account Control
    • Download UxStyle Core Beta and save the file to a known location
    • Extract the files and run the installer that matches your architecture: x86 or x64
    • Follow up the on Screen instruction
    • Reboot the computer
    • Now Enable User Account Control again
    I do really appreciate your affords, I am really impressed with it. This solution definitely helps us with enabling and using the custom themes without modifying the system files. There are certain things that you need to check before performing the solution, make sure that your system is running Windows XP Service Pack 2-3 or windows Vista with any service pack or Windows 7.

Also I would like to appreciate you with the patch which you have suggested, you know this UxStyle installer does a very good job, this installer actually checks out whether there is any typical files like uxtheme.dll have been patched or not. Once if it found any such patch then the installer will fail and then you will have to replace these patched files with the original window’s copies.

Hello friends if you are facing those above problems still now you can probably try out the one which I am suggesting. Just download THIS zip file and run it. It will somehow show up in the personalization as a boxless icon.2, just let me know once you try out this one.

I can also easily remove the blue highlight from the start menu, windows Explorer navigation pane and also the drop down menus.