Thread: Bad user interface for Windows 8 Beta

Bad user interface for Windows 8 Beta

I installed Windows 8 Beta in my PC. At first I like the looks of the OS but then after some days of use I am feeling irritated by its UI. One has to do the simple tasks in a complex way. A task that was possible by simple drag and drop function in previous versions has to be done in a bit longer way. Also many times, some components of UI disappear. I have to restart my system to get that components back again. I didn’t like the interface of Windows 8. Does anyone else feel the same way about Windows 8?

Re: Bad user interface for Windows 8 Beta

I too think that Microsoft has made a bad UI for Windows 8. The first thing they shouldn’t do was that of removing the Start button. This has created difficulties in navigation of data in Windows 8. The navigation is more painful than previous versions. One has to do many clicks and drags to perform a small task. Also the UAC prompt that darkens the screen for one to notice the prompt message is very much irritating. It breaks the flow of work when in between some large task. In previous versions, if such thing would happen, we would continue with other software or task and then notice the prompt when the time came. But in Windows 8, it forces us to tackle the prompt first and then continue with other tasks.

It seems like Microsoft has tried competing with Apple in means of over decorated interface. The splicing interface in Windows 8 just doesn’t look well. The interface of Apple’s iPhone and iPad looks good in small screen devices. Windows 8 will be used mostly in high resolution and big screens. So the looks that are adopted in Windows 8 don’t just irritate when it comes to working but also doesn’t look great. To add to this, it consumes such a large amount of resources, it doesn’t allow other applications to get these resources. I think that Windows 8 is a big failure when it comes to display.

Many times I have experienced that some components disappear in between the use. For example, the navigation bar on the left side of a window, sometimes fail to load. Also many times the buttons like Ok, Cancel or Retry don’t get displayed properly. For that I need to restart the system again. This has caused difficulties many times for me to use this system. Also many softwares still haven’t adopted themselves to the Metro looks of Windows 8. So when it comes to these softwares, they look extremely bad on Windows 8.

I know that Windows 8 has improved security system than the previous versions, but from my experience they just add drawbacks to the system. It doesn’t allow the 3rd part applications many times. So if software has some bug for which the manufacturer hasn’t provided any official patch or solution, the user needs to download 3 rd party patch or applications produced by some other user. But Windows 8 doesn’t work well with 3 rd party components which will cause user to be stuck with bug itself. Microsoft must eliminate this non acceptance of 3rd party application as not all of them are malicious. They must instead improve their default firewall to recognize malicious and safe content.

I find the color combination used in splicing interface of Windows 8 bad. It has become an eye sore for me. All the colors used are either too bright or create a mayhem when they are placed together. Microsoft must consult dome painter before they use colors in their OS.

The most bad part about the UI of Windows 8 is the mess of the shortcuts. I know that after using the OS for a year or long, one tends to create a mess of logos on the desktop. Many unsorted files lying on desktop, sometimes many unused shortcuts lie on the desktop and other such things. According to the trailer of Windows 8, I thought that Microsoft has provide some option for good sorting of logos. But after the first fresh install of Windows 8, all my thoughts were shattered. The default sorting and grouping of logos after fresh install of Windows 8 Beta, I found the logos so badly grouped that I had to spend more minutes in searching a function than the minutes I would be actually using it. To add to the woes, the color combination is a worst turn-off ever.

This OS was basically developed for devices with touch screen function. So it seems useless and bad in systems with mouse and keyboard. The removal of the start button is the biggest failure called by Microsoft upon them.

The logos that are provided in splicing format should have been provided with an option to make the background transparent. Also the boxes in which the logos are places seem to be too large and the wasted space could have been utilized for some other purpose. I like to decorate my desktop with good wallpapers and these tiles don’t look good with any wallpaper other than the default ones. The transparency would add a good look to the logos.