Thread: Where Windows 7 stores desktop wallpaper?

Where Windows 7 stores desktop wallpaper?

as the title of the thread is saying what I am looking to ask you over here. where does Windows 7 supposed to store the desktop images? Also tell me how can I add more images to the desktop theme pack so that they change pictures frequently? If you know anything about the same then let me know as early as possible. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Where Windows 7 stores desktop wallpaper?

By default location is Windows\Web\Wallpaper. However to get over there you can make use of Windows search as well.

Well I know about C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper. As I right click on any of the images or photo to preview into Windows Photo Viewer and right clikc on that particular photo. You will get an option to set the desktop background. When I right click on the Photo on the image file in the folder where file has been stored then you will get an option to Set as desktop background or Preview. After doing that where exactly photo is saved? In which format does it saved? Whether in BMP or JPG or any other format? Already searched into C:\Windows for all formats but I have not found anything over there. Let me know if you are having anything about the same.

According to me you can add pictures which you wanted to use My Pictures folder. Click on Personalization and click on the Desktop Background.
    • Now you have to browse to Pictures Library and select the desired pictures over here.
    • Finally click on Save Changes.
    • Now go back to Personalization window and simply click on Save theme and give a name to it.
    • Once done click on Save button.

After going through the situation of yours, you will see Microsoft themepacks at different location on your computer. you can get Halloween Theme Eerie Autumn at below mentioned locations.

‘C:\Users\<Login>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\Eerie Aut\DesktopBackground\’

There wont be any issue if you add any wallpaper over there or you can replace the same over here. personally I have added around 100 wallpapers and some themes at above mentioned location.

As far as I know all the wallpapers are not stored at below mentioned location.
    ‘C:\Users\<Login>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\MyDesktopBackgroundImage\MyDesktopBackgro un dImage.theme’

If you have opened any wallpaper in Photographic Editing Program and export the wallpaper then image would be named as piwper01.bmp and in similar fashion. If you have opened Personalization> Desktop Background over there you will see Thumbnail image of Desktop and they are listed the images as C:\Windows. The above mentioned thing won’t work.
    The thing is dependent on the version of the Windows 7 do you have installed. Windows 7 is showing Desktop background as black thumbnail and file name as piwper04. But you cannot locate the file.

If you will be able to search piwper02.bmp on Windows 7 Home by clicking on Folder Options and clicking on View Show hidden files and click on folders and Drives. But you cannot do that in Windows 7 Pro.

If you wanted to get the location of the wallpaper set for current users then browse to below mentioned path.
    C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\TranscodedWallpaper.jpg

In case it is a custom theme then theme file can have heading on the same then it would have the custom desktop image which is located at custom theme resources folder.
    Click on Control Panel and go for Desktop.
    Go for Wallpaper=%SystemRoot%\Resources\Themes\Vista VS\img36.jpg