Thread: Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit sidebar shows no gadgets but 64 bit works fine

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit sidebar shows no gadgets but 64 bit works fine

Currently the case is that I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit in my system. It’s actually I am forced to use this 64 bit windows 7 OS just because I am facing some problems with the 32 bit version.

The trouble is with the sidebar gadgets in 32 bit version is that I can’t see any gadgets after launching the 32 bit sidebar where as in 64 bit version there is no such problem, I mean it displays all the gadgets perfectly in the sidebar. I just wanted to know why exactly I am facing this issue only with 32 bit and not with 64 bit version. I seriously wanted to keep my system running using 64bit version and also wanted the sidebar gadgets to work properly.

Re: Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit sidebar shows no gadgets but 64 bit works fine

Try out the system restore option. I did it when I faced the same problem with my 32 bit system.

But after reading your thread I learned one thing, this empty sidebar issue can also be resolved using 64 bit version. When I was facing this issue I consulted many people including the tech support people, they recommended me for using other version but I rejected their suggestions believing that this won’t help out but now after reading your thread I got confirmed with this thing. Anyways, just try out the system restore and let me know if any changes.

If system restore doesn’t make any difference then try to perform the SFC scannow, you can get it on web. The other related suggestions are uninstall and then reinstall the sidebar being in 32 bit version.

Also try to delete "settings.ini" folder in the gadget if possible and note the changes if any. Switch off and then on the UAC. After trying out all the trial and error things note down the changes and let me know.

Yes even my first suggestion would be to try out the System File Checker using SFC/ Scannow.

I would also like to suggest you to try out the following thing:
    Open the regedit and navigate to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

There you need to check and also make sure that the following listing is present over there:
    C:\program files (x86)\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autorun

If the entry is absent or not visible try to make a new entry and see whether it helps you or not. If not then the next thing is to try repair install which should definitely help you out.

System restore didn’t help me in anyways. I actually didn’t perform any system restore option now because when I checked my last system restore date, it was after when I faced this gadget problem. That means that after facing the blank sidebar issue I unknowingly already once performed the system restore which didn’t help me in completely.

Anyways I will again try out the system restore option and also all the other suggestion given to me.

If system restore didn’t help you out or if you really do not want to do a clear reinstall of your windows 7 system then you can surely go for repair install. Repair install will either reset all your items to default or else they will be affected severely, so try it on your risk and make sure to take the backup of the necessary thing that you do not want to lose.

The following are the steps to do repair install:
    • Start Windows 7, and log on to an administrator account
    • Disable any 3rd party firewall, antivirus or other security

Depending on Windows 7 you have currently installed you can either
    • Repair Windows 7 SP1 installation using "retail" Windows 7 with SP1 installation media
    • Repair Windows 7 SP1 installation using "retail" Windows 7 without SP1 installation media

For Repair Windows 7 SP1 installation using "retail" Windows 7 with SP1 installation media:
    • Insert your retail Windows 7 with SP1 installation DVD into the DVD drive, or connect your Windows 7 with SP1 installation USB thumb drive, and click on the Run setup.exe option in the AutoPlay window from within the currently installed Windows 7
    • If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes and then click on the Install Now button to start the installation
    • Uncheck the “I want to help make Windows installation better” box and click on the Go online to get the latest updates for installation option
    • Check the I accept the license terms box and click on Next and then click Upgrade, The installation of Windows 7 will now begin
    • Type in your Windows 7 product key number and then click on Use recommended settings
    • Now after that do the thing as according to you; time, location etc.

Repair Windows 7 SP1 installation using "retail" Windows 7 with SP1 installation media:

• While in Windows 7, insert your retail Windows 7 without SP1 installation DVD into the DVD drive, or connect your Windows 7 with SP1 installation USB thumb drive, right click on the DVD drive or USB drive in the Computer window, and click on Open
    • Right click on the setup.exe file, and click on Properties
    • Click on the Compatibility tab, check the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box, select Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) from the drop down menu, and click on OK
    • Run the setup.exe file and if prompted by UAC, then click on Yes and then carry on with the installation
    • Uncheck the “I want to help make Windows installation better” box and click on the Go online to get the latest updates for installation option
    • Check the I accept the license terms box and click on Next and then click Upgrade, The installation of Windows 7 will now begin
    • Type in your Windows 7 product key number and then click on Use recommended settings
    • Now after that do the thing as according to you; time, location etc.