Thread: Difference between Debian and Fluxbox and XFCE

Difference between Debian and Fluxbox and XFCE

Hi, when i was yesterday surfing internet i came to know about the terms called FluXfox and the XFCE, but i was not able to get it however i am not aware what is that actually but the thing that i came to know about them was like they are somewhat referred to the debian, isn’t it? If so then what is the difference between them? Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: Difference between Debian and Fluxbox and XFCE

see you are right as they are just referred to the debian but the thing is like debian is a operating system rather the XFCE is the desktop environment for Unix and other Unix-like platforms, such as Linux, Solaris, and BSD.

XFCE offers a development framework for applications. Other than XFCE itself, there are third-party programs, which make use of the XFCE libraries, main remarkably the Mousepad text editor, Orage calendar and Terminal as far as i know. One of the services offered to applications by the framework is a red poster across the top of the window while the application is Executing with root rights warning the user that they could spoil system files. And if i am not wrong there are so many versions which is available for the Unix based OS.

i think you haven’t searched the same thing again on internet, anyways let me tell you as above mentioned XFCE is the environment rather Fluxbox is a stacking window manager for the X Window System, which in progress as a division of Blackbox 0.61.1, with the same intention to be lightweight. Fluxbox can show some eye candy colors, inclines, margins, and numerous other basic exterior attributes can be specified.

Features of the Fluxbox window manager include:

• Right-clicking on the desktop provides a root menu

• Modifiable root menu

• Support for different wallpaper

• Running applications come into view in a taskbar

• Provides different desktop shortcuts

• Support for desktop themes as well.

Exactly i am agree with the above user as there are almost 3 to 4 version, and might be more than that but i am not aware about the same, i have used Xfce 4.0, Xfce 4.2, Xfce 4.4, Xfce 4.6 and about to make use of Xfce 4.8. you can see the screen-shot i have mentioned of the latest environment.

yeah i got it what is that actually, but still there are some doubts in my mind as whether it is possible to use those environments in debian OS ? And from where can i download it? After seeing the XFCE I would like to install it in my debian running machine, will you please let me know how can I do that? Thanks for the above suggestion and make me aware about the same.

I would like to recommend you that you should try to visit the LINK i have mentioned so that you can have perfect idea about the XFVE environments.

and for the FLUX box you should try to visit over here, as this is also official website of the same and you’ll get answer for all your question over here. In fact both the environment and the manager you can download from the LINK i have specified.

I am not sure about the XFCE but still i have used flux box and that’s why i have mentioned some of the screenshots for the same so that you can have better idea about the things.

yeah off course you can install it in your machine and for that you just need to follow the below mentioned steps.
    To install a fresh system with Xfce

If you install a new system, you can select to install Xfce straightly from the boot menu only:

1. At the Debian Installer boot prompt, depress the tab key to edit the command line, then add

o desktop=xfce

2. When prompted to select the task to install, make sure you click "Desktop Environment"

Install Xfce in an already installed system

To get a uncovered minimum base install of X, do:

aptitude install xorg

To install Xfce, do the following:

aptitude install xfce4

This will install a meta package, which will install the core XFCE modules and scripts to get it to work.

There are numerous helpful utilities that come with XFCE, to install these:
    aptitude install xfce4-goodies

Run Xfce
    For GDM/KDM choose xfce4-session.
    For startx add in file ~/.xinitrc:
    exec ck-launch-session startxfce4
    For slim boot session in /etc/slim.conf:
    login_cmd exec ck-launch-session /bin/bash -login /etc/X11/Xsession %session