Thread: Missing icon images (W7)

question Missing icon images (W7)

For no apparent reason the images on all my desktop icons have disappeared. The text descriptions remain and I can open the programmes as normal, but how do I restore the images.
    Appreciate any help

Re: Missing icon images (W7)

Probably its the happens when there is some problem with Explorer.exe. Anyways, it can be simply fixed by restoring your system to any previous restore point but before that, you should try out these steps:
    Quote Originally Posted by killerboy View Post
    Well looking at the situation I am suggesting that you need to rebuild the icon cache database on the computer of yours.
    • You have to close all the folder or program which already opened on the computer of yours.
    • You have to launch the Task Manager and kill the Explorer.exe process from the Process tab. You have to right click on it and choose End Process.
    • Now launch the command prompt from the File menu and click on New Task and enter CMD.EXE and click on OK button.
    • You have to copy paste the following command on the command prompt and execute the same by hitting enter.
    Code:
    CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
    DEL IconCache.db /a
    EXIT
    Now you have to launch the EXPLORER.EXE from the Task Manager and see whether issue is persisting or not.
    For more info, check this out:
    Images of icons are missing after rebooting the computer
    Improper Display of Icons in Windows 7

Thanks for the help, unfortnately it did not work. I killed explorer.exe, deleted the Icon Cache. re-ran explorer.exe and still my desktop only shows the icon descriptions not the images??? WHAT NEXT?

The issue can be related to explorer.exe. I am not sure whether this can be a virus issue also. Usually the icon file disappears when the icon imagei n the installation folder (i.e. program files normally) is unable to load. Boot in safe mode and see weather you can see those files are not. Or you can create manual icons from the start menu. You have to right click on the program icon and click on send to > desktop.