Thread: Windows 7:All the icons are changed into generic icons

Windows 7:All the icons are changed into generic icons

I have installed Windows 7 on my computer. I am facing very strange problem and I have decided to discuss with you all so that I can get solution for this particular problem. Due to some reason all the few desktop shortcuts and document icons are changed to generic icons. Due to which I was unable to figure what type of the document it is and I can identify which program is running while looking at the task bar of the computer. I have searched on the Google to figure out the problem but all of the efforts of mine were fruit less. Now I am requesting to all of you to suggest me appropriate solution on this matter. I will really appreciate for your efforts. Thanks in advance.

Re: Windows 7:All the icons are changed into generic icons

Well looking at the situation I want to know that all the icons of the application are turned in to generic icon or all the icons which are associated with Microsoft. I am providing following solution to rebuild Icon Cache Database. Well you have to run this command on command prompt of your system. Copy paste the following command and see the results.To launch the command prompt you have to click on the Start menu and enter CMD in the Run and press enter.
    Code:
    CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
                DEL IconCache.db /a
                EXIT
    I am hoping that it will help you to solve the matter.

I have done some research work and now I knew the root cause of the problem. Each icon which is changed to generic is not the executable of that particular application in fact it was copy of the particular installer. I was missing the icon of Windows Live Messenger and I have searched on the system and discovered that %SystemRoot%\Installer\{39AE27EE-A148-48A3-B98D-35498C4D9719}\MsblIco.exe was missing in my system. Well it was same for the all the files including .pdf, .doc. Now simplest solution for this problem is to create installer file again. I mean you have to reinstall the software on your system. let me know whether it was helpful or not.

Well looking at your situation I think file association in your system being corrupted due to some reason. I am suggesting following steps to perform to solve the matter.
    1. You have to click on the Start menu and go to Default program.
    2. Now you have to click on Associate a file type or protocol with program.
    3. Now you have to look on the desire file which is correctly configured or not in order to open with associated program.
    4. If it is not configured then you have to select file and simply click on the Change program button.
    5. Now you have to check whether the program which required to open that particular file is present or not. If it is present then press ok otherwise browse to that particular program and then click ok.

Well if you are ready to use third party application then I am suggesting you to use Iconpackager. Well its available on the official website of the Iconpackager. Download and install the same on your computer. You have to right click on the generic icon. A context menu will appear on the screen here you have to click on the Change icon option. It will launch the program and you can select desire icon for the program.

You can try resetting the icon cache by making a change to the cache and then changing it back. Here's how:
    1. Right click an empty area of your Desktop
    2. Select Properties
    3. Select the Appearance tab
    4. Choose the Advanced button
    5. In the "Item:" drop down menu, click the entry titled 'Icon'
    6. Using the up or down arrows, change the number displayed
    7. Click OK
    8. Using the above instructions, change the value of step #6 back to its original position.