Thread: Windows 7: Windows Desktop Gadgets has stopped working

Windows 7: Windows Desktop Gadgets has stopped working

Running my Dell Inspiron laptop with windows 7 platform, Which is working fine instead of only one thing, which are the desktop gadgets. It starts but when I switch on the window, but after few time a message is flash on the screen, which directs me to stop the program, at that moment I don’t know,for which program it is flashing the message , but after the click on OK, it does not appear the desk gadgets of the windows default. I installed the “Windows Live Desktop Gadget” in my machine; those are also not running with the windows items. After a few while after switch on the machine, it shows flashes a message that the "Windows Desktop Gadgets has stopped working". Any suggestion on this problem, how to recover this issue?

Re: Windows 7: Windows Desktop Gadgets has stopped working

Go to the control panel and select one by one the gadgets which are applied in your machine. Along with the Windows Live Desktop Gadgets, remove them all and remove all the temporary folder and the registry editor also delete the earlier installation file from the program file and reboot the machine. Now re-install them. This process is works in my machine, where as I was also facing the similar issue with the Google desktop gadgets which are installed in my machine. Recommend you if both the windows and windows live gadgets are applied in your machine, remove any of any gadget application. It might be possible whether there are two gadget applications are running in your machine, that’s why one of them is creating problem.

I think by reset the windows slide bar gadget this problem might be fix, but this one not for the problem that you are facing regarding the Windows Live Desktop Gadget, this works only for the windows gadget. My friend had the similar issue, after that he did this process, by this he can easily fix the issue. So I am going to describe the process for you, hope this one definitely resolve the problem. Go to the All program in start menu, then proceed to Accessories and right click on command prompt, now select the Run as administrator option and expand the windows installer logo from the list. It may ask you to insert the administrator password. Type and insert Regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\sbdrop.dll”, Regsvr32 "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\wlsrvc.dll” and Regsvr32 atl.dll in the command prompt. and reboot the machine, windows gadget problem will fix in this way.

I recommend you switch the user account. I heard that this kind of problem is solved either by uninstall the gadget application, as this is the only solution and if you after the solution if still the problem occurs, then create a new user account in your machine and switch to it. I had the similar issue, where I did this process. To create a new user account go to the user account under control panel and in the user account window, select the new user account, select either the user account or the administrator account. Remember that if the existing account is administrator them you will not able to create a new administrator account, then you have to able to create the user account. After creating the account log off the machine and switch to the newly created account. In this you can able to solve the issue, here I recommend you to install any one the gadget program, which you are using now. Now again go to the user account option and delete the existing account.

Restore the machining the desire date where you did not encounter any problem. I think by this way you can solve the issue. This is clearly the windows problem so it can solve by applying some solution for the windows. Go to the accessories under the start menu and under that option select the system restore option. In the restore windows, select the desire date and time where you are willing to restore the machine. One of my friend has applied the Google desktop gadget along with the windows slide bar, he was using windows vista in his Acer machine. And was encountered the similar issue. And he did this process (system restore), and by this he can easily solve the issue. So I also suggest you to do this process.

Click on the start menu, then type and insert regedit in the search option. Now navigate in the following registry key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar\Settings”. Create a new DWORD by right click on the right panel of the registry key. Named the newly created DWORD file as “AllowElevatedProcess” and set the value as 1. Close the registry editor. Now go to desktop and right click on the task bar and launch the slide bar and the desktop gadget on the screen and make sure after the changes in registry editor, slide bar and desktop gadget are working fine. the “AllowElevatedProcess” is also available in some of the websites, instead of make this in the registry editor you can download the registry file from internet and apply that one in the registry editor. I had the similar issue and after a deep search I found this simple solution and by applying this, I can easily resolve the issue regarding the windows and desktop gadget. Also like to suggest you to go through this process, this will definitely help you. one of my friend is also get relief from the similar issue, so i think this will definitely help you.
    Last edited by Abhibhava; 02-12-2010 at 08:02 PM.