Thread: Rename with wildcards in cmd.exe under windows XP does not work correctly

Rename with wildcards in cmd.exe under windows XP does not work correctly

In the Disk Operating System command window, utilizing a command similar to rename Picture to *.jpg March2005*.jpg it gets duplicated the earliest nine lettering the length of " March2005", not seven, which is the length of "Picture" with "April2005". The consequence might be

Picture-21
    Picture-22

turns out to be

March20051
    March20052

What is the most excellent workaround to get this names

March2005-01
    March2005-02

Any help related to the same issue will be appreciated. Thank you in Advance.

Re: Rename with wildcards in cmd.exe under windows XP does not work correctly

I attempt to suggest this by utilizing wild card and it didn’t work. However, originate a work about.

dir /b picture*.txt > list.bat
    notepad list.bat
    Edit menu | change

Find what: picture-2
    change with: Ren March2005-0
    Save the file.

At command prompt run list.bat to entire the process.

I think you can follow this way to rename the picture which you have been selected to rename. For this you can select all the surrounded by a similar windows folder. Select every image which you want to select then rename the image to March2005-.jpg at the same time as holding (Function 2) F2 to come to an end. Then windows will submit application sequence information to the entire highlighted files.
    Last edited by Expertz; 20-10-2010 at 03:57 AM.

Attempt this line on your own in a batch file. ex:list.bat for /F "tokens=1-4 delims=-" %%1 in ('dir /b picture*' ) do ren %%1-%%2
    March2005-%%2
    That’s a particular line. It appear for picture as %%1 and 2x.txt as %%2 and then substitute %%1 with March2005. It will not rename 2 hopes this will facilitate. I would not believe of a simpler technique.

The batch file and round ideas are operational, but I am still containing the identical problem with the rename command on the entity files with none of the wildcards. I have attuned your code to exceed in the parameters by making a batch file "r2" consisting of Rem call "r2 fromprefix toprefix" to rename files commencement with fromprefix to files commencement with toprefix for /F "tokens=1-4 delims=-2" %%A in ('dir /b %1*') do ren %%A%%B %2%%B I am not sure what purpose %%B (you make use of "%%2") serves. Also, my XP Help and Support Center utter variables must be alpha.

Syntax
    for {%variable|%%variable} in (set) do command [CommandLineOptions]

Parameters
    {%variable|%%variable}
    Required represent a consumable parameter. Use %variable to take out through the command prompt. Use %%variable to take out for command within a batch file. Variables are case-responsive and have to be representing with an alpha value, such as %A, %B, or %C.