Thread: How can I remove the MSE icon from the system tray?

How can I remove the MSE icon from the system tray?

I have a lot of applications running on Windows XP computer. This causes my system tray icon to gets filled up soon. This occupies a lot of space on my Windows Taskbar resulting it to left with limited space for window that I have opened. So I would like to hide some of those tray icons. The first which I come across is MSE. I have searched a lot for this but didn't find any solution how to hide it from system tray icon list. I want a way to remove the icon from the system tray, while keeping the process running. Is there anyway to hide this application although it is running ? How?

Re: How can I remove the MSE icon from the system tray?

I don't know how to do it in normal situation but if you want then I can give a solution how to remove the MSE from the system tray icon using Windows Registry. Open Windows Registry (Start - Run - type "regedit" - OK). Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run". Select the entry name related to MSE. Right click on it and choose Delete from the menu that appears. Reboot your computer for changes to take effect.

You can do this by right clicking on the Taskbar and click Properties. Make sure you have check on "Hide inactive icons" on the General tab. Click on Customize to see a list of all the possibilities. Look for an item which states the behavior of MSE. Make sure it is "Hide when inactive". If not then make the selection to confirm it gets disabled when there is no activity related to it.

1. Go to Start, then Run and then type "regedit" in the text box that appears to you.
    2. Navigate to the following Key: [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify]
    3. On the right hand side, right click on the PastIconsStream key and select Delete.
    4. Restart your computer.

This will surely delete all of the system tray icons from the taskbar. You may now decide which should appear in the list and which shouldn't.

I have already tried all of the above steps but it didn't fixed my problem. Sometimes it deletes all of my system tray icons while other time no icons gets deleted. I only want to delete MSE icon from my system tray. I have also tried Ccleaner to see if repairing the registry solves the problem. I tried using manual delete but nothing fixed my problem. And I do not want to hide the tray icon but instead remove MSE from the tray icon.

When you say you want to remove the tray icon, do you mean it should be running in the background or permanently be removed from the tray icon? There is a workaround which you can go through is right click on the notifications area and select Properties. Choose "Customize notification icons" and then uncheck "Always show all icons and notifications in the taskbar". You can even select from the combo box that appears near to each program whether you want to Hide icon and notification, Show notifications only or Show icon and notifications.