Thread: How to configure two monitors on Ubuntu 9.10

How to configure two monitors on Ubuntu 9.10

Hi, i am a Vista user and want some tips from you all guys regarding the same. i have seen in some offices using dual monitor on a system. Well, i have done the same on my Windows Vista computer but recently i had installed Ubuntu on one of my computer and wanna do the same with this system as well. As i am new to Linux Ubuntu. Could you guys please make me know how can i configure two monitors on Ubuntu 9.10 ? Help appreciated..

Re: How to configure two monitors on Ubuntu 9.10

To do this, you obviously have the right equipment, that is to say a graphics card with multiple video outputs, or multiple graphics cards. If you have a laptop, you can plug in an external monitor simultaneously and thus use the laptop screen and the next. DVI, VGA, ..., the more difficult will be to verify that you have good cables and good to plug your screens on your computer. To connect two monitor, just go through these steps:-

• Turn off your computer and turn it to see the face behind the computer.
    • Locate your adapter. A cable from your monitor is already there.
    • If a second outlet is available, you can use it to connect a second screen.
    • Check the format of the capture: VGA or DVI. Here, the catch is a DVI connector.
    • On the other hand, making sure at the end of the cable from your second monitor: VGA or DVI. The decision here is a DVI connector.
    • Buy if need an adapter to use a VGA cable on a DVI or vice versa, a DVI to a VGA.
    • Connect your second monitor to your computer and you are done.

Re: How to configure two monitors on Ubuntu 9.10

Connecting a monitor to a laptop is not really difficult. Almost all laptops have a socket for a monitor. Just locate the plug to the screen. It can be in VGA or DVI format. Here it is VGA. On the other hand, making sure at the end of the cable from your second monitor: VGA or DVI. Here there is a VGA. Buy if need an adapter to use a VGA cable on a DVI or vice versa, a DVI to a VGA. Then connect your monitor to your laptop.

Re: Setting display with Ubuntu Linux

Once your screen are connected, it'll just boot your computer with Linux Ubuntu to configure and operate so that larger viewing area. To do so, start your computer. On Ubuntu, click on the System menu, then click on Preferences Screen Resolution. Uncheck Clone screens.Your two screens then appear in the list. Click on the second screen and set its resolution. Drag the icons for the screens placed in the configuration of your desktop: one right and one left. This will help you decide which way to extend the desktop. Finally click the Apply button. In the window that opens, click the Hold button settings. You can then use your second screen as you see fit in there moving windows you always want to have before your eyes as mail for example.

Re: Enable or disable the 2nd screen quickly

You can also enable or disable the 2nd screen to run an application full-screen which divides the display between two screens. The quickest way is to make two template files in your xorg.conf (the one with TwinView options and one without) that we call xorg_mono.conf and xorg_dual.conf:
    Code:
    sudo cp / etc/X11/xorg.conf / etc/X11/xorg_mono.conf
      sudo cp / etc/X11/xorg.conf / etc/X11/xorg_dual.conf
    Edit one or both of these files after you have multi-screen set or not.