Thread: Can i copy softwares installed in the OS to new hard disk?

Can i copy softwares installed in the OS to new hard disk?

I am currently having the 80Gb hard disk in my computer system which has the operating system installed in it. And i have bought the new 250GB hard drive for this computer system. Now i want to install the operating system on this new 250GB hard drive. I want to know that can i copy the Software installed in the OS on the old hard drive to the new hard drive. Will that softwares work by copying onto the new hard drive? Because installing all the software is the very long procedure.

Re: Can i copy softwares installed in the OS to new hard disk?

you are having the 80GB hard drive which has the Windows XP operating system installed on this and now you have bought the new 250GB hard drive for the computer and you are going to install the operating system on this hard drive. You want to copy the programs file of the OS of the old hard drive to the OS of the new hard drive. So that you don't have to install the softwares again on the new hard drive. You can copy the programs files of the old OS the OS of the new hard drive. But remember that this softwares will not be shown in the list of the programs of the start menu of the computer system.

You can easily copy the the programs files or the software installed on the old hard drives OS to the new one but those softwares and programs will not work directly on your system. Because you cannot access then directly from the start menu of your operating system. You need to always start the softwares from the program files of the C drive of your hard drive whenever you need to start the software. So this can be the long procedure to start the softwares everytime.

You can copy the softwares and the programs files to the OS of the new hard drive but they will not work at all. So you have to install all the drivers and softwares for your computer system after the installation of the Operating system on the new hard drive. However you can copy all the setup files of the software and the other data from the old hard drive to the new hard drive. They will run on the new hard drive properly.

You have to install each and every software require to you again in the new OS on the new hard drive one by one. because during the installation the windows creates the registry files of the particular software which is installed on the system. The is created in the system32 folder of the windows on the C drive or on the drive whichever is having the Operating system. Without the registry information the software will not work in the operating system. If you will install the software then this registry files will be created for every softwares. Otherwise it will not be created if you will copy paste the programs files from one OS to another.

You have not mentioned here that which operating system you want to install on the new hard drive. You want to install the OS same as the old hard or some other new Operating system. However this does not effect the softwares. In either cases you have to install the softwares and the applications along with the hardware drivers again in the new Operating system of the computer system. There is no way available by which you can skip this and think that the old software installation will work on the new OS installed on the new hard drive.