Thread: Different drives in xp with Different icons

Different drives in xp with Different icons

Hi, I want to set different icons for the different drives in Windows xp. Can it be possible? If yes please give me some way to do it. I am waiting for your reply. Please reply me.

Re: Different drives in xp with Different icons

Hi, You want to change the drives icons in xp. Then first collect some icon files with ico extention. So, for setting icons you need to do following:

Setting:
    1] Open 'notepad' > Save as 'autorun.inf'
    2] In autorun.inf file write below two lines
    [Autorun]
    icon="<filename>.ico" and save this file.
    3] Copy your icon file at the root of drive where you save autorun.inf file.
    4] Rename icon file as 'myiconfilename.ico' [icon file name and autorun icon names must be same]
    4] Set hidden property for both (icon n inf) files.
    5] Restart your system.
    6] Do same above process for other drives if you want to change all drive icons.

Hi, you can change your drives in xp with different icons. To do so create or edit a registry key.

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\DriveIcons
    Underneath this key, create news keys with only the drive letter as their name. Underneath each create another key called "DefaultIcon", and modify the standard value on the right to point to your icon (full path), add a comma and number when it's in an .icl file (first inside = 0).

Hi, I don't think that there would be any possibility to change the icons of different drives in xp. As windows xp provide you the facility of changing the icons of the folder, I have not seen any type of the facility which will able to change the icons of the drives. I don't think that it will be possible to do by making any setting in the operating system. For this you need to do some changes in the registry. So, I think don't take the risk of making any changes into the registry.