Thread: How can i Save and Restore Desktop Icon Layout in Windows Vista

How can i Save and Restore Desktop Icon Layout in Windows Vista

Hello Friends,

I'm running Windows Vista on my system. I would like to know that how do i Save and Restore Desktop Icon Layout in Windows Vista. Can any body tell me that how can i do it? Does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct logical solution for the above issue. Would be grateful to you if any body helps me out.

Thanks a lot.

Re: How can i Save and Restore Desktop Icon Layout in Windows Vista

With a little tweak that originally came from the resource kit, we can add a menu that will let us save and restore the desktop icon positions by right-clicking on the Computer item on the start menu (or desktop icon). Try to install the following on your system.

Download and extract the zip file, and then copy Layout.dll into your C:\Windows\System32\ directory, assuming you've installed Vista on your C: drive. Next, you'll need to double-click on the Layout.reg file, which will add the contents to the registry. Now when you right-click on the Computer entry in the start menu, you'll see two new items for "Save Desktop Icon Layout" and "Restore Desktop Icon Layout". Arrange your icons the way you'd like them, and then click the Save layout menu item. To prove that it works, move your icons around and jumble them up. Now when you choose the Restore option, your icons will go right back to where they were when you saved them on your system.

When testing various display resolutions or during a remote desktop session, the desktop icons may go out of order. Another case is that when you accidentally use the CTRL+ Scroll button (mouse) on your Windows Vista desktop, the Desktop icon size changes and so does the icon layout on your desktop. Afterwards you need to revert back the icon positions manually.

The Layout.dll shell extension from Microsoft was written for this purpose. The Layout.dll shell extension, a part of Windows NT Resource Kit tools, can be used to Save and Restore Desktop icon layout. Good news is that the extension works well under Windows 2000, Windows XP and even in Windows Vista.

Just follow the below steps mention.

• First, you will need to download layout.zip on your pc.
    • After download has completed, unzip layout.zip to your desktop (or folder of your choice).
    • Next, copy Layout.dll to C:\Windows\System32 (for Windows XP and Vista) or C:\WINNT\System32 (for older versions of Windows).
    • Now double click the file Layout.reg file to automatically add the appropriate changes to your registry.
    • If not already, layout the icons on your desktop to the position you want them saved.
    • Then right click on the Recycle Bin and select "Save Desktop Icon Layout".
    The icon positions are now saved.

NOTE: Make sure you see the pop up "Desktop Icon Settings Saved" which will verify the desktop layout has been saved. If you do not see the message, right click and select "Save Desktop Icon Layout" again.

Try IconRestore for installing this tiny application adds 2 items to Windows pop up menu namely Save Desktop Icon Layout & Restore Desktop Icon layout, and you will see these two options when you right-click any system icon (Ex: My Computer, My Documents,Recycle bin) on the desktop.

Arrange Icons wherever you want on the desktop .Right clicking any system icon and selecting Save Desktop Icon Layout stores current desktop layout .Once it has been saved you can restore it any time clicking Restore Desktop Icon layout in the menu.