Thread: Vista desktop icon won't delete

Vista desktop icon won't delete

Hi,

I can't delete a desktop icon on widows vista, please help, it gives error as follow:
    "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop. Verify the items location and try again."
    I'm getting mad because of this. Please suggest me some solution. Thanks for any help !

Re: Vista desktop icon won't delete

Look in both of these places...

C:\Users\(Your Name)\Desktop and C:\Users\Public\Desktop

and delete the icon if it appears there. If that doesn't work, try deleting the (hidden) IconCache.db file under C:\Users\(Your Name)\AppData\Local\ and restart your computer. A new one will be built automatically.

Refer this similar threads :

Desktop icon not deleting
    http://forums.techarena.in/vista-fil...ent/646277.htm

Hope they will help. Good luck
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

Hi,

Boot in safe mode then try to delete it , you'll surly get rid from it.

That result is when you not directly uninstall the applications....install again the applications, dont make shortcut to desktop, then edit the location or root of that icon where the .exe is located. then, uninstall the application completely.

This situation was driving me crazy. I had saved a .pdf file to my desktop. I deleted the file after saving to my document file. Unfortunately, the shortcut/icon to the document remained on the desktop. Refreshing the desktop did not work. Any attempt to delete the file generated an error message that the file did not exist. I tried program unlocker 1.8.7, which is available here -http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Unlocker.shtml, as recommended on other websites, to no avail (it is a helpful utility, however). Following advice on another website, I even uninstalled Adobe Reader and deleted all .pdf documents (after backing up on disk of course). Modifying the User Account Control also did not work - if you click on Properties, Security and attempt to change "ownership" it generated the same "file does not exist" message.
    Finally, I opened the command prompt as administrator and went to C:\Users\{name}\Desktop and ran the dir command. The directory showed a zero bit file with the same name as the deleted .pdf file. I then made sure I had a back up of all items on the desktop I wanted to save and simply deleted all items on the desktop. That removed the "ghost" icon.