Thread: How to Fix Tooltips hide behind Windows taskbar

How to Fix Tooltips hide behind Windows taskbar

The bug: Tooltips for system tray (notification area) icons and task bar buttons start showing behind the taskbar so they are hidden or only partially visible.

A solution to a small bug in windows I was often annoyed: tooltips ( "hints" or "baloontips"), those little yellow rectangles begin to appear behind the taskbar or the notification area (systray ), making them difficult to read.

This happens when the explorer and the taskbar are not sure which comes first and should remain there. One solution is to reboot. Another restart explorer.exe, but it is more simple: close the active window and right click on the taskbar, and click on the properties.

Uncheck the box next to "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows". Apply and OK made. Tested normally the bug will disappear. If you do find tooltips are showing behind the taskbar, the key combination Shift+Windows+M may fix the problem.

Re: How to Fix Tooltips hide behind Windows taskbar

Run regedit and explore to following registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Advanced]

"EnableBalloonTips" = dword: 00000001

This trick also does same .

Re: How to Fix Tooltips hide behind Windows taskbar

thank you this trick worked very well . Sure enough sorting by name in the start menu fixed it. Simply opening the all programs menu did not fix it for me though. registry tweak can create trouble if some doesn't know how to deal with them.

unsure Re: How to Fix Tooltips hide behind Windows taskbar

Quote Originally Posted by WindowsGeek View Post
    Uncheck the box next to "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows". Apply and OK made. Tested normally the bug will disappear.
    This is not a fix, it's a workaround - you have now made the task bar slide off the screen every time you remove your mouse cursor from it. I find this very annoying. And as soon as you go back to having "Keep taskbar on top" the tooltips hide behind again. Also annoying.

I have recently been told (no way to test it until the problem comes back for me) that the way to fix this is to click [Start] - All programs then point to any program or folder and Right-click and sort by name. Then click somewhere on the desktop to close the start menu, and repeat the above procedure. Now the problem is solved. Allegedly.