Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to change Windows Vista start button icon?

Re: How to change Windows Vista start button icon?

I've completed everything except opening thee Aero.msstyles file with ResHacker. Nothing is displayed when I do open it even though I have full ownership and permission for the Aero File. Is there another way to save the new file or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks for the help

For the gentleman who had an issue with the black box space around the icons, I believe (not sure, since I haven't even gone into the changing of my start button, yet) that the "Pink Space" that surrounds some images is what will fix this delima. In other applications, such as when one is making a guild logo in Rappelz and wishes to have a sharp, clear edge on a rounded or shaped icon with edges like a transparent .gif would have, that pink space was required. I dont know the exact hue of this pink, but while browsing some of the other buttons in Resource Hacker, I noticed some had this pink space around them and if you have a good color picker program, you can obtain the exact HEX values for that particular "Pink."

I hope this helps. I'll be testing out my own advice right after I post this, so I'll let you all know if it works.

Metal

how to move files to another drive safely

i am having a problem with a hard drive getting full and i want to move it safely.

I just get the classic looking button, bar, and windows...

Quote Originally Posted by kony2186 View Post
    doesnt work for me. reshack wont let me change areo!
    You must take ownership of the file to edit its permissions.
    either login to the hidden administrator account, or do it the easy way.

I tried to attach the pre written code for shift+right-click(doesn't show up in regular right-click) in the Rar file.
    And the .exe for regular right-click in the Zip file.

Be warned that editing these files (theme files & registry files) WILL ROYALLY SCREW your system. So making a restore point that works should be your first priority. Also: make sure that you have a method of utilizing the restore point... e.i. a restore disk, Install Disk, or restore partition!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Maqbool; 25-10-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: External Links Not Allowed, Removed The Same.

where is alpha image converter?

Quote Originally Posted by thedavies316 View Post
    where is alpha image converter?
    Which alpha image converter are you talking about? Can you please specify in details what kind of problem you are facing or what exactly you need? From the searches that I have made, I can see that there are not any specific details on this alpha image converter and for what purpose it can be used.

> ".. Which alpha image converter are you talking about?.."

I've been looking for it as well, but Google only gives me dubious download sites when I search for "alpha image converter" or "alpha icon converter".

I tried PSD to PNG conversion with the trial version of Axialis IconWorkshop, which gives me a reasonable result: the applied image is not showing a black square anymore, though the transparency is not entirely proper. It still shows a transparent blueish overlay.

sahibagupta Guest

Hi
    Windows Vista uses ample icons by defaulting in the activation menu, and it hides the background all for baby icons beautiful well. No matter, we’ve placed it.
    Thanks

ArtrJack Guest

You have provide nice knowledge about change windows vista start button icon. I go through step wise that you have provide and I was surprise that its properly work. Nice sharing.

From my vantage point, this all looks a bit complicated. Is this something I need to do? Or is this a personal "taste" matter?

Its an hack. You need a hex editor to search the start button string an then modify the same as per your choice. I do not find any automated tool to modify the same. Hex editor is an bit complicated process, where if you mistake can found more trouble to restore old settings. Basically there are certain Vista Tweak tools. But I do not found any feature of modifying the start button in that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12