Thread: Disc optimization not working in Norton 360 version 5

Disc optimization not working in Norton 360 version 5

I haven’t used all the features of Norton 360 version 5.1.0.29 yet. Yesterday I was checking one by one. Finally I came to the disc optimization. When I click on it, it checks and then it prompts that drives C or D need optimizing (at 0% fragmentation). I don’t think that it is in at 0% fragmentation, if so the PC should be as good as now. I am doing frags and registry cleaning weekly. I don’t think that it will need any optimization. My system is
    • Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP 2.
    • Norton 360 version 5.1.0.29.

Re: Disc optimization not working in Norton 360 version 5

The 0% doesn't indicate that there are no fragmented files inside the drive. In order to double-check the results go through the following steps:
    • Open Command Prompt in 'Run as administrator'.
    • There type: defrag c: -a –v and press Enter.
    • This will analyze C drive and show you a report regarding fragmentation levels. Do the same for D: drive also.
    • Now compare the file fragmentation percentages by Norton 360 and command prompt individually.
    • If the results don’t match, then you need to take a deep look into your system.

Try Defraggler. It is told that the Defraggler using a different way to get the fragmentation percentage. Windows/Norton 360 fragmentation calculation is based on file counts whereas Defraggler's calculation is on file size. You can compare the Defraggler results with the Windows report so that you can easily find out which files are causing fragmentation to show different results.

As far as I know that the System volume information contains your restore points and these restore points must be protected in any manner. Defraggler only recognizes fragmentation on System volume information but cannot use them to defragment. These information files are very much necessary for your system restore.

You must go through the following steps to re-create the WMI Repository.
    • Click Start > Run.
    • Type services.msc and click OK.
    • You will see the Services window now. Right pane, see for Windows Management Instrumentation service, and choose Stop.
    • Close the Services Window and go to C:\Windows\System32\wbem from My Computer
    • There you must Delete the "repository" folder.
    • Now again repeat the 1 to 3 steps to open the Windows Management Instrumentation service and choose start.
    • Now Restart the system and run the Disk Optimization and evaluate the results.

The issue you are getting might be due to the damaged Windows system files. You need to repair them somehow and to do this Click Start > Run, type SFC /SCANNOW and click OK. This will scan/repair all system files upon Restart. After the restart check for existence of problem. If still the same problem, you may need to repair Windows Vista.

Have you tried running the Disk Optimization manually. To do this, just go into the PC Tuneup Details and Run Disk Optimization (You can find this option at the bottom of the screen).

First and the foremost the Norton 360 checks the drive’s fragmentation level. If it finds the fragmentation level 10 percent or less, then there is no way that Norton 360 Disk Optimization can defragment the drive? At this time it simply skips the defragmentation and shows you the default results saying that scan as completed. In windows Vista you can easily check the Disk Defragmentation on Drive individually. To do this
    • Open My Computer.
    • Right-click on any drive, and click Properties.
    • Move to the Tools tab, click Defragment Now.
    • Click Defragment, that’s it.

I can only assume that there is some kind of problem with your Norton 360, otherwise you could have got the accurate result during the Disk optimization. To make sure just try the One Click Support session. You can find it on the Help&Support menu which is residing on the Home screen. This option will verify and repair / fix internal settings

Someone told that you should check Windows Disk Defragmenter manually. Here only the problem can arise. If the Windows Disk Defragmenter and the Norton 360 Disk optimizer runs at the same time, there could be a collaboration. For example, assume that Windows Disk Defragmenter is already running and Norton 360 just starts its Optimization. Now the Norton 360 thinks that Disk Optimization is complete and it will show the results without running its defragmenter.