Thread: Norton AntiVirus installed on iMac showing 64 Bit Kernel error

Norton AntiVirus installed on iMac showing 64 Bit Kernel error

On my new iMac I have installed the Norton AntiVirus software. While installing I didn’t get any error in the middle but at the end of the installation it shows me an error saying that 64 Bit Kernel is not able to run Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect. It also prompts me to restart the system with 32 Bit Kernel and enable Auto-Protect. Does anyone know about this kernel thing?

Re: Norton AntiVirus installed on iMac showing 64 Bit Kernel error

I hope that your iMac probably running OS X Lion. So far I know that older versions of Norton were 32-bit and they are not compatible run on the newer systems. I think that you are not looking for to switch to the 32-bit kernel. You said that you are running OS X Lion, and then you must need Norton AntiVirus 12 for Mac. It is 64-bit compatible and it is a specially developed for OS X Lion. However the older version Norton AntiVirus 11 will not run with OS X Lion.

Yes, you are right. My iMac is running Norton 10.7.2. When I looked into the Norton box it says it is compatible for Mac OS 10.4.11 or higher. Both iMac and Norton package brought at the same time. How could be a compatible issue arise there?

Have you tried the LiveUpdate after the installation? I heard that the Symantec has released new update which will solve the compatibility issue between the Norton Antivirus and OS X Lion. In order to do the update you need to run LiveUpdate and get the complete updated product.
    • Make sure that you are in the Finder
    • Now Click the desktop or if not you can also click the Finder icon in the Dock
    • Go to menu bar> Go > Applications.
    • Check the Symantec Solutions folder.
    • Next click on top of the LiveUpdate (double click)> Click Update Everything Now.
    • Once the completion of all updates, once again run the LiveUpdate to make sure all updates were downloaded.

It is known that the latest Mac Pros have a 64-bit kernel enabled by default. There is no solution from the official side yet. The only solution available is to make the LiveUpdate.

I think that for this issue you might need to download and install the Intelligent Updater. This is only meant for Intel-based Macs. By the help of this you may also resolve this issue.

I think that you already have the Stuffit Deluxe 12 installed. One thing you need to make sure that this product is updated and should be in at least 12.0.2 version. If you are looking forward to update this product you can do it by the help of stuffit Expander. Otherwise you can remove and install the newer version manually.