Thread: bsod: attempt made to write to read only memory = rootkit

bsod: attempt made to write to read only memory = rootkit

Yesterday i came across bsod: attempt made to write to read only memory = rootkit on startup. I had gone through a number of solutions all over the web and have sorted it out my own. I just thought of posting the workaround here so one looking after a fix for this issue might get instant help from it.
    Workaround:
    • Boot from mini xp boot disk, go in to system32/drivers and check if you see any *.sys file that might have got changed. It was a random named file and an atapi.sys in my case and it is likely to remain same for others running in to same issue as well.
    • After that Google out atapi.sys,download the latest one, delete both random named file and atapi.sys and save the latest downloaded atapi.sys in their place and you are done.

Re: bsod: attempt made to write to read only memory = rootkit

Well, I do not feel qualified to deal with BSOD in Windows 7 yet, but I will be happy at least see your BSOD and see what I can see. I have no idea to analyze dump Windows 7 yet (XP crash dumps I can understand) and it would take to send some of the crash dumps and would be able to point you in a better direction. The two RAM sticks are identical, as purchasing a matched pair. Because RAM is usually the case, I've tried to pull a rope and run memtest. I also tested the RAM in a different computer.