Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We were unable to save your preferences in IE7

We were unable to save your preferences in IE7

I am getting a constant popup in IE while visiting a website. It says that we are unable to save your preferences. What does this means. What is the error about and why it is appearing only on a particular website. It looks the error is associated with IE and not any other browser. How can I disable that and us IE as my regular web browser. I am using Windows Vista in my system. I had upgraded IE recently.

I am too having the issue but I do not know why this is occurring. I am using Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP. I had updated my system recently and after doing that this message started appear. I can provide you the short list of fresh updates which were installed.
    • Update for Windows XP (KB951618)
    • Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB951596)
    • Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003 (KB954464)
    • Security Update for Access Snapshot Viewer 2003 (KB955439)
    • Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB954038)
    • Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003 (KB948988)
    • Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB955434)
    • Security Update for Microsoft Office File Converter Pack 2003 (KB925256)
    • Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB921598)
    • Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (KB951548)
    • Update for Windows XP (KB952287)
    • Update for Windows XP (KB951072)
    • Security Update for Windows XP (KB950974)
    • Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB953838)
    • Security Update for Windows XP (KB952954)
    • Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648)
    • Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB951066)
    • Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - August 2008 (KB890830)
    • Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB95383
    Can anyone tell me which update associated above is causing the issue and how can I stop the permanently. I had tried to check on Microsoft forums, where a users has mentioned that some update is causing the problem.
    Last edited by Andy L.; 14-08-2008 at 11:53 AM.

same message with Firefox

I am getting this in Firefox while opening Yahoo. This error has appeared a number of time now and I am looking for answer. It looks that it is not a browser based issue. The issue lies with some internal add-on installed. I am researching on the error. A small fix that I located was cleaning the temp folder. After cleaning the temp folder I stop getting this error. I am using Disk Cleanup to wipe out the files from temp folder and this looks to be working well. There should be a automatic way of cleaning the temp folder.

I think the issue is related with the website instead of browser. There are some settings which are causing the issue. Cleaning temp folder may help for sometime, but still that is just a temporary lookout. I am getting this error on all different browser and on Yahoo only. So might be some kind of issue with the web browser. I hope there will be some way to deal with same. Windows Update does not looks to be helpful here.

I got the error after upgrading firefox. Later on when trying many stuff, I restored the old edition of web browser. I removed Firefox from Control Panel and then went back to the old edition and it is working. I do not understand how this is fixed, but still it looks to be a temporary solution.

Me Too

It can be sometime happen when the site security is compromised. There are chances when site is hacked and you get those messages. You must contact the website admin and notify the issue. Because this error is not common in all sites, but to some. Windows Updates has nothing to do here. Do not play with them. Keep your system updated so that you can simply get best security features and there is no vulnerability left. I had also tried another thing. Add the website to trusted list.

Before and After updates

How can confirm that Windows Update is not responsible for the issue. I am getting this error exactly after updating Windows, while all was working fine before. I am thinking to run system restore and then see whether the issue is solved or not. I am not sure about that. Windows Update had triggered the issue I think. There is one option that I had found which can be helpful to some extent. Go on Control Panel > Internet Option and remove the tick from Enable third-party browser extensions then check back.

Is this due to some add-ons on the system. I have around 6 add-ons installed on my web browser. It is firefox and ie. It was working fine, but suddenly on few sites I started getting this preferences error. What does means. I hope the issue is not associated with the cookies. I have a updated Norton Antivirus and it has not found anything while scanning. So there is less chances of getting a threat in my system. I had looked on similar threads on Yahoo answers which mostly says that this is due to some improper updates.

No this is not related to Windows update or any virus, it is the site error. The website looks facing some kind of trouble. I had seen some sites which are hacked mostly give this kind of errors. But this remains for low time. There is no need to worry about the same. You must contact the webmaster and inform them about the error. About the virus thing, get a antivirus software that offers you a good internet security support. It can give you popups if any fraud site or phishing attack is located.

I am getting this error on Firefox and I am running Mac OS X. In this I am not able to figure out why some websites are blocked and provides the issue. I had tried to run new updates for the browser but still nothing worked.

I too agree that the issue lies with Yahoo itself and because of which you are getting the error. There are chances when some pages are dealing with routing problem as Yahoo operates on multiple servers. I am getting the popup on my mac system also. I am running Firefox on my Windows Box. I tried to reconfigure each and everything back again and hoped that it might work, but the same error still appear a number of time.

I am getting this error on my tablet pc. So I am too confirmed that neither Windows Update nor the browser is associated with the same. The problem lies with the website itself and they might be working on the same. There is nothing to worry on it much.

Somehow I am also trying to figure out what the error means. When the site is opened there is a popup on the screen saying that the preferences cannot be saved. It looks the site is dealing with some kind of issue due to which the error appears. The preferences are mostly those settings which keeps a track or record on the way you surf. Like keeping your search history saved, etc. I think the issue lies with this kind of stuff. I do not thing cookies are the one which are responsible for the same. After restoring the system via system restore, nothing was resolved. One more thing that I want to point, that the issue mostly appear when we try to visit Yahoo. While on other thing it work well.
    Last edited by Raj; 20-09-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: add text

Is there any preference settings in Internet Explorer. On Google I found that the issue can be resolved by resetting IE to default. To reset you can try the following hotfix. Check the below link. There is a download link provided. After running the fix I had not faced any issue related to the same.

How to reset Internet Explorer settings

Re: "We were unable to save your preferecens..." (sic)

I am getting this site while visiting MegaMillions. When I open Yahoo on other tab the error does not appear. I think this is a bug and there should be some way to fix the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast