Thread: Antec power supply making crackling noise

Antec power supply making crackling noise

I have just changed my Corsair 500W power supply to a new Antec 550W psu. I bought this power supply because it was rated high and didnt had any problems in it. But after installing it in my system, it is making a crackling sound when I start my computer. I have made sure that the fan is not touching anything lying in its way but there is nothing. Can anyone tell me whether this Antec PSU is dead on arrival? Thanks for any replies.

Re: Antec power supply making crackling noise

Can you first of all tell us whether the old Power Supply had any issues and therefore you changed the PSU? Normally, you are supposed to get crackling noise from cheap inductors on power supply. But Antec is a very good brand and I dont think that it uses such cheap materials. Can you try to gently stop the fan in the PSU when it is spinning by your hand and check if that stops the noise that it is making. If not then surely you got a bad PSU of Antec that you need to change.

If you are going to use 2 graphics card with that Antec 550Watt power supply then you will have to return it as soon as you can because even if the psu is good, bad, not working or anything else, 550watts of power supply is very small for a setup of graphics card in either SLI or Crossfire. You will need atleast a 850Watt power supply Gold or Bronze for powering the 2 graphics card inside your computer along with all the other hardware components as well.

The Antec TruePower TP-750 750W power supply will be also enough for running 2 graphics card in your system. The best part of this Antec psu is that it remains cool and quiet even at full load while gaming on your pc giving continuous power of 750watts to all the computer components. It is a modular power supply that comes with good cable design. I have used the Antec Power supply's in the past for a maximum time period of 4 years till and I will again buy it for sure.