Thread: Antec BP550 Plus 550W keeps tripping

Antec BP550 Plus 550W keeps tripping

I have got a Antec BP550 Plus 550W power supply which is still under warranty. The poblem with this PSU is that it keeps tripping off all of a sudden, usually when it is at idle or at night. To solve this problem I have to turn off the PSU and then turn it on again to reset it. At times, it will work flawlessly without tripping. I have checked that it is not overheating at all. I have also kept my PC at a cool place. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Thanks

Re: Antec BP550 Plus 550W keeps tripping

Well, it seems to me that your Power Supply might be defective. Can you try to recheck all the connections again whether it is proper or not. First check the connections to the motherboard and then all other hardware. Also check the connections to the hard drive incase if they are not tight on the turns. Do you have any power fluctuation at your place? If so then are you using any UPS, check to make sure that there isnt any problems caused with the input power.

Have you tried to check whether there is no short at someplace which is causing the power supply to trip off by itself on idle? I also believe that the PSU might be defective. Or else the UPS could be the problem if you are using any. You should have a good quality UPS because the lowest category of UPS will make such problems. So, you will have to either drop the UPS or use a better one or else try a different PSU altogether. Unless you do any test by yourself you will not know what exactly is causing the problem.

It might be also possible that there could be a short-circuit in your computer case someplace. If you can try to rebuild your whole system from scratch and try again, then you can find out for sure what is the root cause. Just try to check whether the motherboard isnt touching the case where it should not be. Also, try to make sure that you do not have any insulating washers touching the motherboard to the case. Mostly due to metal contacts or power fluctuation you are expected to get a power tripping off problem.