Thread: Antec P280 USB 3.0 ports are working in USB 2.0 mode

Antec P280 USB 3.0 ports are working in USB 2.0 mode

I have bought Antec P280 Case and there is something wrong with the USB 3.0 ports of it. If I connect any USB 3.0 device to them I get "unknown device" or "format the disk" messages. They work fine when I connect USB 2.0 device to them. So it seems as if the USB 3.0 ports are working in USB 2.0 mode. Is there a way to change the same or I will have to send it for repairing to Antec service center.

Re: Antec P280 USB 3.0 ports are working in USB 2.0 mode

Can you be specific with your system details?? I mean its configuration, so that I can have better idea of your issue. As far as I am aware some boards allow setting USB 3.0 ports to work as USB 2.0 from bios. So in that case you can go through the bios and check out if there is any setting for changing USB 3.0 ports functionality. If it’s already set to work in USB 3.0 mode then you can try uninstalling and reinstalling USB 3.0 Host Controller Software/Drivers. Check out these things first and let me know what response you get.

My system specification is as followed:
    • Motherboard - ASRock P67 Pro
    • Processor - Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz 4.9 4.9
    • Memory - (RAM) 4.00 GB 5.4
    • Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 7.0
    • Operating system - Windows 7 Ultimate

I have gone through the bios and I don’t see any such setting there, even though I have installed the latest BIOS. I have tried out uninstalling and reinstalling USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver and I have tried updating it as well but no luck yet.
    Is there any other place where I can dig for those settings????

As far as I can guess there might be something wrong with the cable that you might be using for making the connection form your motherboard to your Antec P280 USB 3.0 ports. Many people have reported this issue earlier, and a little bit of search says if the cable isn't usb 3.0 compatible than USB 3.0 ports will be dropped down to work in USB 2.0 mode.
    I am not that sure about it but it seems as if you are running in the same case, so check out the cable and make sure that it is usb 3.0 compatible.

Beside of the cable, you might also check the onboard USB chipset on the mobo. If you can use USB2.0 on the P280, it's a sign that there are not any issues with the USB3.0 ports.

Another issue could be also the chip on your USB3.0 device. What device do you have?

You might also check the onboard USB3.0 chipset on your mobo. This could be also an issue which cause the problem. Normally you can configure in your BIOS the setting regarding USB3.0.
    Since USB2.0 is working on the P280, it seems that the USB3.0 interfaces are not the issue.
    Another issue can be the chipset of your USB3.0 device. What are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Kh@LnaYak View Post
    As far as I can guess there might be something wrong with the cable that you might be using for making the connection form your motherboard to your Antec P280 USB 3.0 ports. Many people have reported this issue earlier, and a little bit of search says if the cable isn't usb 3.0 compatible than USB 3.0 ports will be dropped down to work in USB 2.0 mode.
    I am not that sure about it but it seems as if you are running in the same case, so check out the cable and make sure that it is usb 3.0 compatible.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the cable in my case. I am using usb 3.0 compatible cable only. I feel there is something wrong with Antec P280 USB 3.0 ports and not with my Motherboard and cables.

Quote Originally Posted by neeeel View Post
    I don’t think there is anything wrong with the cable in my case. I am using usb 3.0 compatible cable only. I feel there is something wrong with Antec P280 USB 3.0 ports and not with my Motherboard and cables.
    The P280 is coming with internal USB3.0 connector which you have to connect directly to your motherboard. You don't need any additional plugs or additional cables actually.
    So, if you use an extra cable adapter (USB3.0 to USB2.0), then of course it will run on USB2.0 speed only.

Kindly check.

Quote Originally Posted by neeeel View Post
    If you are quite sure that there is nothing wrong with your Motherboard connector or the cable than I can’t think of anything else to suggest you further. I mean you have already tried out the possible solutions that might have helped. I’ll suggest you to better get your case checked from Antec service center. If there is really something wrong with Antec P280 USB 3.0 ports then they’ll fix it for you. If not then you will have to carry out some more troubleshooting with your Motherboard.