Thread: How to fix corrupt active directory...

How to fix corrupt active directory in Windows Server 2003

I am getting problem with Windows 2003 network. There is a single server on the network with DC which crashed recently. I tried to restart it but it looks all the services are not activated on the same. I am still facing problem with AD configuration. Does crashing can cause corrupt AD. I need help to repair the same. I am sure there will be some way that can help me to get rid of this issue. I even cannot see any file in MMC. What should I do know.

Re: How to fix corrupt active directory...

For the 2nd DC that you have setup, have you checked if replication take place between the crashed DC and the second one? Also, is the second one Global Catalog? Does the client machine know about the second DC? Check if the DNS AD integrated so that the 2nd DC is able to reply to DNS requests? Remove the first DC from the domain once the 2nd DC wotks by dcpromo'ing it, thats the way you are suppossed to do it or with ntdsutil and a metadata cleanup.

Have you tested whether you can ping any internal computer on your domain with it's DNS name when the original DC is down? If so, that will mean that DNS internally is functional. To solve the Internet DNS resolution problem, you may need to setup DNS forwarders to forward DNS requests to your ISPs DNS servers.

However, first ensure that DNS is functioning internally.

Also, if you are using DHCP, was your original DC the DHCP server as well? If so, you may need to setup the new DC as the DHCP server and make sure DHCP is not running on the original.