Thread: Child domain and DNS

Child domain and DNS

I need some help here to work on Windows 2003 R2 forest. I am trying to work with dcpromo. I am trying to add a child domain to the root domain. This will be appearing as subdomain on the root. I want to create a zone on the child DNs. For that I want to manually copy al the entries from root dns. Later on I will delete the subdomain and then create a delegate zone for it. Will this be fine or I can do something much more better here.

Here is a link that will give you detail information on the process that you are looking. It will help you to create a child domain and to delegate the dns namespace. As you were looking there was a manual process listed in the same that offers you easier way of working on the same.

How To Create a Child Domain in Active Directory and Delegate the DNS Namespace to the Child Domain

I am here trying to do something similar. First of all it is better if you must avoid forward lookup zone of subdomain on the root. Later on you can simply delegate the dns query of root dns for child domain dns. That would be more appropriate I think. Technet has ample of resources on the same that offers you detailed information on doing this. You just need to search properly about relative topics in it.