Thread: time sync from NTP in win 2003

time sync from NTP in win 2003

I have installed and additional DC server named Y in my domain, and Server X was already my main DC. If I am typing net time on any clients then it shows time source as server Y. Prior to the additional domain installation, all clients showed the time source as Server X. I have checked that all the FSMO roles are still hold by server X after this server Y came as an ADC, but dont know how, the server Y has become the time source? How do I change this back? Thanks.

Re: time sync from NTP in win 2003

The problem that you are facing could occur when your computer sends synchronization requests by using symmetric active mode. By default, Windows Server 2003 domain controllers are configured as time servers and use symmetric active mode to send synchronization requests. So, to solve this issue, follow the steps given here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875424

Re: time sync from NTP in win 2003

I tried to follow the link, but that didnt work. If I am shutting down the server Y which is an ADC then the net time on my clients shows proper source as server A which is the parent DC but as soon as I start the ADC, it will automatically show the time source as Server Y. Can anyone tell me how to solve this as time source is actually Server X on which the time sync with external program is running.

You can try to follow the below link to find out how Windows Time Service Works and also get to know how to configure the Windows Time service on the PDC emulator, how to configure a client computer for automatic domain time synchronization and how to configure a manual time source for a selected client computer:

http://technet.microsoft.com/nl-nl/l...=ws.10%29.aspx