Thread: Windows 2003 Server Standard Domain Controller multiple NICs

Windows 2003 Server Standard Domain Controller multiple NICs

I have configured a Windows Server 2003 Standard Domain Controller at one of our office and it is working properly. The server has 2 NIC's with one of them deactivated. The issue is that I am going to have to bring on another subnet (VLAN) and wanted to know if I could enable the second NIC card servicing the new subnet. Can anyone tell me whether a domain controller service multiple subnets or will that affect Ad? Will I need to have a seperate DC for the other subnet? Thanks for any info.

Re: Windows 2003 Server Standard Domain Controller multiple NICs

The problem that you are facing can be occured if one of the network adapters is attached to an external network (such as the Internet) on the multihomed domain controller, and if Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) and Kerberos traffic between the internal and external networks is partially or completely restricted because of a Proxy, ISA Server, NAT Server or another firewall device. To solve this issue, follow the link here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272294

Re: Windows 2003 Server Standard Domain Controller multiple NICs

Thanks for the response. Does it really matter if both subnets are both internal and not servicing external addressing? I will check out the link in more details once again.

I think that multihomed DCs are not recommend due to name resolution issues and other things. You can try to search for multihomed domain controllers. You will have to configure Active Directory sites and services to serve both subnets, but it should be upto your routing topolicy/configuration to route clients outside DCs subnet to that Dc.