Thread: GroupPolicy Limit Max Profile Size (want more than 30Mb)

GroupPolicy Limit Max Profile Size (want more than 30Mb)

HI, I’m running a server with several client systems. As of now the roaming profile limit for the users is set to 30MB which I need to increase and limit at 100MB. I guess this can be done by editing system.adm file in any one of the DC but I’m not sure about this. By doing some research on web I have already redirected my DOCS and am considering redirecting the other 2 profile size culprits (desktop and App data) but would really just prefer a 100mb limit on the profile. So if anyone from here can help me out for both of these tasks would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: GroupPolicy Limit Max Profile Size (want more than 30Mb)

Yes, you can increase user’s roaming profile limit by editing system.adm file but are you sure that you really want to grant users profiles that are larger than 30MB? Well, 30MB that travel around the network is a load of data. Anyways, its your server and your users. Let me tell you that it is just "default" value that Microsoft has put into this. In order to increase you will need to go to %windir%\inf. Here locate and open "system.adm" file and search for the string called "MaxProfileSize". You will find the following here:

VALUENAME "MaxProfileSize"
    DEFAULT 30000
    MAX 30000
    MIN 300
    Simply change the Max – line to Max 100000. This will increase the limit from 30MB to 100 MB. That’s it.

Hello Galiher. I would suggest you to better redirect "My Documents" "My Music" "My Video" and "Favorites" folders to the homedrive using a GPO. This will save a lot of space in the user profiles.

Thanks Stuartl and LeSueur, appreciate your help!! Hope to get those profiles down to a reasonable size soon!