Thread: Preparing Network Connections... forever

Preparing Network Connections... forever

We have a forest with only one domain and I have made a new domain tree and let the DCPROMO Wizard to install and configure the DNS service. I think that the wizard decided to punch-out before everything was properly configured since when I boot this new DC, then it will take approx 4 minutes before the "preparing network connections" screen goes away. I have tried to restart many times in case the whole process might be needing it, but without any success. After that I added secondary zone transfer between my new domain and the first domain of the forest to ensure both sides could solve addresses, but that didnt work either. So, when I boot the new DC, I am getting the below events in the Directory Services event log:

Active Directory was unable to establish a connection with the global catalog.

Additional Data
    Error value:
    1355 The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
    Internal ID: 3200cd1

User Action:
    Make sure a global catalog is available in the forest, and is reachable from this domain controller.
    You may use the nltest utility to diagnose this problem.
    ===================
    Active Directory could not resolve the following DNS host name of the source domain controller to an
    IP address. This error prevents additions, deletions and changes in Active Directory from
    replicating between one or more domain controllers in the forest. Security groups, group policy,
    users and computers and their passwords will be inconsistent between domain controllers until this
    error is resolved, potentially affecting logon authentication and access to network resources.

Source domain controller:
    DEVDC
    Failing DNS host name:
    82d33e8a-faee-41bd-8206-793069703a58._msdcs.vmdev.local

Re: Preparing Network Connections... forever

Could you please tell me what is the IP Address of the internal DNS server in the TCP/IP configuration settings on your new Domain Controller? If you will do the ipconfig /all it will tell you everything. It should be only an internal DNS server because anything else will give you the issue that you are facing. Incase this Domain Controller is also the DNS server and your Domain Controller has a static IP Address, then we should see this as the IP Address of the internal DNS Server. You need to also check the spelling of the DNS zone which can also lead for some problem.

To establish a domain trust or a security channel across a firewall, the following ports must be opened. Be aware that there may be hosts functioning with both client and server roles on both sides of the firewall. Therefore, ports rules may have to be mirrored. Follow for some more suggestions given here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179442