Thread: Some quick tips to secure Active Directory from threats

Some quick tips to secure Active Directory from threats

I need some quick tips to simply secure Active Directory here. I am facing some security problems here and not able to find a proper solution. I am completely confuse here. The guy who handle all this operation is on vacation. It is now my responsibility to take care about the security. I am making a check list which I will go one by one to locate any issue. What are more things I can do here in-order to get rid of any recently detected threats. I just want to stay on the safer side.

Re: Some quick tips to secure Active Directory from threats

The only thing that works well is documentation. Ask that person about the AD documentation. Big Enterprise simply keeps a complete set of documentations with them. This tell them about the network structure and other stuff. It is essential that you must simply find those documents and follow the procedure mentioned in it.

Documentation is good thing here. But there are more things to test out. First you must properly verify the server status. Try to keep less admin accounts in your system. The more admin accounts are present the more risk of getting some kind of problem. You will have to control the admin privileges here and keep a close track on other activity. That will keep you on the safer side in giving proper security options. Always keep on testing the GPO settings. This is always better and it is also the most powerful tool the server. You must test and keep a close eye on all the settings so that nothing is messed up later on. You can easily setup a test environment that would give you the right output in case of any problem. Because if wrong settings are applied there are chances that your server may get more vulnerable to outdoor threats. Limiting the admin account is another good thing, but also you can keep the rights also limited to some extent. You must maintain a different set of admin accounts and keep on changing its permission. Admin accounts are like the god mode of server. Once they are hacked or some got privileges they can simply do anything in network affecting a more large number of systems at the same time. So better say on the safer side instead of just allotting full permission to modify your server settings. I create temporary admin accounts in my server. They are disabled when not needed.

Some more things you can do is use a dedicated terminal server here for administrating the network. When there are no guest access then just turn them off. Do not let them active all the time. Try to enforce a good password policy. Force your users to use a powerful password instead of simple one and verify the security of each DC also.