Thread: Help Getting AD Working

Help Getting AD Working

Hello all,

or google: How to recover domain when the primary domain controller failes and there are member domain controllers

I followed the instructions and was able to seize the 4 fsmo roles.

Now:
    - users can't join the domain; error details say that no DC can be contacted and that there are SRV records missing.

I'm sure I understand why it is saying this.

Can anyone help me to take one problem at a time and go through this?

Any help to move me forward would be appreciated.
    Right now, dcdiag shows some successes and some failures. I'm not sure what to try to tacle next? There are still traces of other obsolete DC's in AD, so maybe I have to do that first?
    I was also thinking to try to completely remove DNS and WINS and then reinstall from scratch.

Can anyone help to get me going, here? I would prefer detailed help, if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Help Getting AD Working

I cannot say if a restore can fix the issue that you are facing. Ensure the following on DC:
    1. Each DC / DNS server points to its private IP address as primary DNS server and other remote/local DNS servers as secondary in TCP/IP properties.
    2. Each DC has just one IP address and single network adapter is enabled.
    3. Contact your ISP and get valid DNS IPs from them and add it in to the forwarders, Do not set public DNS server in TCP/IP setting of DC.
    4. Once you are done, run "ipconfig /flushdns & ipconfig /registerdns", restart DNS and NETLOGON service each DC.
    5. Do not put private DNS IP addresses in forwarder list.
    6. Assign static IP address to DC if IP address is assigned by DHCP server to DC.It is strongly not recommended.