Thread: NTP Server for time sync

NTP Server for time sync

Hi,

Yesterday I configured the PDC Emulator to sync with an NTP server after which the PDC emulator appeared to be syncing time with [w32tm /resync] though my NTP server wont exists anymore. Apart from this it even gave m e the message saying the command completed successfully. I used the following to configure the PDC Emulator:

w32time\parameters\NtpServer=time.example.com,0x1
    w32time\parameters\Type=NTP

So far what I can understand is the DC will use its internal clock for a time source if the NTP server is not working, right? So my question is there any method to turn Off this functionality? Since an error is not always generated, what is the best way to confirm the NTP server is the source being used? Thanks for your replies.

Re: NTP Server for time sync

As far as I know the DC with PDCEmulator role in a domain is the source of time while all other SCs just sync with that one DC. And rest all other domains use to sync with an available DC. So as per your questions, I would if possible try to configure the PDCEmulator to a time server, router/switch/NTP device or external time server. You can use the following code for the same:

w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:PEERS /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update

You can also set the time source with “Peers” either with DNS name or an ip address from a reliable time source. Hope it helps.

Re: NTP Server for time sync

Thank you very much for the help Beckinsale but that isn’t helpful for me because you wont understood my question properly. I have already configured PDCEmulator with NTPServer to sync with but even though I tried putting an invalid server, it synced with "w32tm / resync"