Thread: Windows Server 2008 R2 DC - sysprep XP and join domain

Windows Server 2008 R2 DC - sysprep XP and join domain

Hello,

I am researching how to properly join a 2008 R2 domain in an automated fashion from a re-imaged XP SP3 computer; either through Sysprep, or through a script after sysprep has finished and mini-setup is concluded; I have a utility that renames my XP SP3 machines after sysprep is finished, so I am guessing I will need to have the machine join the domain after that happens. Any thoughts? Anyone else out there who manages Windows XP workstations in a Server 2008 R2 domain? We have several hundred machines, so an automated process would be best.Thank you in advance.

Re: Windows Server 2008 R2 DC - sysprep XP and join domain

If you are going to use sysrep on any other Windows XP then you will need to download the same. I am giving you a link below that will give you the download as well some help no using the same.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Deployment Tools

How to use the Sysprep tool to automate successful deployment of Windows XP

I do currently use sysprep in the microsoft approved fashion, however, we use the computer's serial number as the machine name, and as far as I know there is no way to make sysprep query the bios for the s/n number and rename the machine. So here's my dilemma; I don't want to join the domain until after I rename the computer to it's serial number, otherwise, the machines in AD will have meaningless names.

Here's a thought, maybe I use sysprep, add the commands in sysprep to join the domain with the automatically generated computer name, then script a name change via netdom.exe. Is that possible? I'm sure I'm not the only one who uses serial numbers as computer names, so there must be a solution that incorporates the MS supported way with another MS supported method.

I think that is possible through scripting. That would help you more. But for that you have to find out solution for the web. I do not think it will be possible for you to give a ready to use script for the same.

All of our machines are Lenovo and so the s/n's are 7 characters alpha-numeric.