Thread: Cant change password on Windows Server 2008.

Can't change password on Windows Server 2008.

I need some help here to change the password of Windows Server 2008. I am facing issue while doing the same. I tried to change the same but facing a error. The error is unable to update the password. The value provided does not meet password requirement. Can anyone tell me what is the issue here. I had did this before and it worked. I do not think there is any complex password policy configured.

Re: Can’t change password on Windows Server 2008.

The problem lies due to password complexity. Your current password does not meets the requirement due to which you are facing the problem. It looks some tough policy is configured. Instead of modifying the settings why don't you try to use a tough password here. I am sure this will be much more helpful for you.

All this should be done at the time of configuration. If you had applied settings on minimum and if still the complexity does not meet then it simply means that recently someone has modified the same. If you are having admin access you can work on it and fix the same. But it is recommended to keep a good password strength or else there can be security issue in future. There is a link below that has more detail information available on password policy.

Password Policy

Try to increase the password length and then check back. Problem can be with the same. I had recently applied a settings where user have to atleast 6 elements in the password. Later on I removed those settings. Strong password is good for security. You have to go in the settings and check out what password policy you had applied.