Thread: Unable to add computer to domain

Unable to add computer to domain

I got a machine that cannot be added to the domain. It seems that someone deleted the OU which had the servers and never restored it. So, I am not attempting to apply group policy to one of the computer and getting some errors. We have disjoined the computer from the domain and it was successfully done. But when we are trying to rejoin the computer to the domain then I am getting an error message that states "The computer failed to join the domain "domain.lab". .. failed to update the dnshostname and/or ServicePrincipalName in its Active Directory Computer Account." I have tried to stage the machine by going to ADUC and create computer with the same name but still get message "Windows cannot create the new computer object because the pre-windows 2000 computer name "mtl-prnsvr" is already in use. Select another name and then try again." Any ideas? Thanks

Re: Unable to add computer to domain

Seems like another computer exists with one of the other attributes with a similar name which you are using when joining to domain

Try this command to find out any duplicate Object..

csvde -f output.csv -d "DC=domain,DC=com" -r "(objectClass=computer)" -l cn,displayName,sAMAccountName,name -j c:

Note: Make sure you change the DC=Domain,DC=Com with your existing domain name. The output file will be saved on C: drive as output.csv

Please search in the output file for duplicate name.

Thanks but when I checked it was not there either.

Have you checked whether there is a duplicate name such as a workgroup, group, etc? They all will conflict. Also, if the OU was deleted with those objects in it, then you can try to restore it using an Authoratitive Restore. Other things could be to pull deleted objects back without the preceding lengthy procedure mentioned, is to try adrestore from microsoft.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963906.aspx

Could you please post the netsetup.log file as an attachment here.

I went through the netsetup log and it shows "Network Access is denied" (NetpModifyComputerObjectInDs: ldap_add_s failed: 0x41 0x57). Its very hard to say why it said so..!!

Few questions:

1. Is it the only machine, facing the issue. ??
    2. Did you try to join any other machine (with different Computer name) to check if it completes??

Also, if the issue persists, a network trace would be required for the time it starts to join the machine, till it fails.

Its good if you have an alternate option to resolve this issue. However, feel free to contact if you have any further queries.