Thread: Group Policy Applying sequence and result

Group Policy Applying sequence and result

Hey, i have a very short query. I just wanted to know what is the proper group policy applying sequence? As far as i know will it be correct if i put group policies at the same OU level ? Will it be correct if i out it in 1,2,3....link order? Also will it be correct if group policies in the different level is out from high hirarchy to low hirarchy? And last question is will it make any difference in applying sequence if a policy was put at the domain, site or OU level?

Thanks for your helps in advance.

Re: Group Policy Applying sequence and result

For your first question, you must know that the links with LOWEST number use to have HIGHER precedence for a given site, domain, or OU. Lets assume that you have added about 6 GPO links but after sometime you need the last one should have the highest precedence then you can simply adjust the links order of the GPO link so it has link order of 1. You can get more info about the same here. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc736813.aspx

About your second question, what exactly you mean by saying ‘Different level’? Should I assume it as ‘Different OU’s’? And as per your third question, Local, Site, Domain, OU, child OU and so on, is the way. Read more about the same here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc778890.aspx

Thank you very much for the help guys but i got few more questions depending on your replies which are as follows:
    OK, i agree that the GPO flow is something like this : Site -> Domain -> OU, but what if a domain compose of multiple sites, would the same order flow still applies?
    I see the Security Filtering (who/where the GP apply to) under Scope tab for a GP, normally it says "Authenticated Users", who is the authenticated users? How can it be identified
    How to set for an OU to block inheritance for a specific GPO?

Thanks again.

In case you configure your AD sites and subnets, the machine belong to one site where a gpo is linked to. Secondly Authenticated users includes all users whose identities were authenticated when they logged on. and the third as mentioned in this article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc738307.aspx is not going to work for the password/account policy.