Thread: SID not resolving to Username

SID not resolving to Username

We have just started migrating users from our legacy domain to our newly created domain. It has two way trust between the domains, and many servers have been migrated with no issue. There is some problem with 1 server however. This server will not show users in local groups, once migrated to the new domain, but rather their SID. There is an app that I have downloaded which solvese the SIDs manually, and I have confirmed that the SIDs to resolve the users. Also, if I add the users to the groups, the proper permissions are granted with NTFS security, but it will always resolve to the SID only. Can anyone tell me how to get the domain user to show up instead of SID? Thanks.

Re: SID not resolving to Username

You need to check on the server that shows the SIDs, if name resolution is working properly for that machine or not. Also check firewall configuration and logs and check if you are using a domain account when looking at the properties of that resource.

You can try to log onto the server as a domain admin and run the below from a command prompt and see if that helps:
    netdiag.exe /v > c:\netdiag.log

After that try to open up c:\netdiag.log with notepad.exe and look for errors, if there is any.

Thank you, I have tested by running the netdiag.exe and it gave me the results that are not good - "[FATAL] Failed to get system information of this machine." That is the entire contents of the log file. Thanks

Can you try to check with SIDTONAME tool and ensure that the accounts exists in Active Directory.

Thanks for the replies guys. It seems to me that the problem was caused by a service on the machine being disabled. Because this was a Windows 2000 machine, it has the TCP/IP NetBios Helper Service, which was disabled. Once I started this, the problem got automatically solved.