Thread: GPO to disable XP desktop background option

GPO to disable XP desktop background option

We are running a server with Active Directory domain. There are several Window XP clients connected with this domain. Don’t know why all users suddenly received black background and also there option turned gray to change the background.

I think there would have been some problem in the GPO. Can anyone tell exactly where I need to check for this problem? Many thanks.

Re: GPO to disable XP desktop background option

Well the simplest way I can suggest you is rsop.msc . Just run it on all those systems which are facing problem. It'll show you the resultant set of policies (rsop). Once done, you can simply browse the policies categories and see if they are applied. Also if you have configured the background policy, you will find it here itself.

Hope it helps.

RE: GPO to disable XP desktop background option

Hello beant, the GPO policy for background options can be found at the following location:
    User Configuration - Administrative Templates - Control Panel - Display - Prevent Changing Wallpaper

Apart from this as per your post I guess the problem is not from the GPO but coming from domain group policy. I’ll suggest you to run gpresult /v, it will help you to get the list in verbose detail about all the GPOs being applied.Once you get the list it will be easy for you to find the setting "prevent changing wallpaper" or faster way look over GPO reports directly from GPMC tool. Just try out this and let me know if you need some more help.

RE: GPO to disable XP desktop background option

Thank you very much for the help Woody. That really helped.