Thread: "The time at the Primary Domain Controller is different than the time at the Backup Domain Controller or member server by too large an amount."

"The time at the Primary Domain Controller is different than the time at the Backup Domain Controller or member server by too large an amount."

I am having Windows Server 2003 Active Directory installed. I dont know why, everytime or so, I am getting the below error in the event log, that I cannot understand:

"The Security System detected an authentication error for the server ldap/DC01.mycomp.com. The failure code from authentication protocol Kerberos was "The time at the Primary Domain Controller is different than the time at the Backup Domain Controller or member server by too large an amount."

After that I also get the below messages:

"The time service detected a time difference of greater than 5000 milliseconds for 900 seconds. The time difference might be caused by synchronization with low-accuracy time sources or by suboptimal network conditions. The time service is no longer synchronized and cannot provide the time to other clients or update the system clock. When a valid time stamp is received from a time service provider, the time service will correct itself"

Any ideas? Thanks

Re: "The time at the Primary Domain Controller is different than the time at the Backup Domain Controller or member server by too large an amount."

I think that you might have to check replication between the DC's. Also can you tell us whether there is a firewall between them that is blocking port 123 UDP?

Re: "The time at the Primary Domain Controller is different than the time at the Backup Domain Controller or member server by too large an amount."

Have you ensured that the time zones are setup fine or not? It can be the problem that you are facing.