Thread: Log shared folder activity?

Log shared folder activity?

What would be the best way to log data for files in a shared directory (and sub-directories) on a server? The type of information needed would be something like this:
    - File accessed
    - By whom the file was accessed
    - Date/Time opened
    - Date/Time closed (if possible)
    - Date/Time file saved

Everything is a must except the date/time the file was closed, as I believe that cannot be tracked via the network. Is there a way to do this in Windows Server already, or must we purchase some sort of third-party software? We're looking to go as cheaply as possible.

Re: Log shared folder activity?

To fix that you have to go in GPO and then you will need to enable Auditing. You have to find Audio Object Access and there you can do the required configuration. Try to do the same at the location where you had kept the data. Right click on the Folder and click on Properties. Then click on Security and then click on Advance. In that you will find Auditing. Go in that and then click on Add Account/Groups. That's done. You can simply set the option to audio.

Hi everybody,

your provided answer is correct but in the “security section” in event viewer in 1 minutes more than 450 events generates , in that most of the the events are useless and in 1 hour it goes thousands and lacs, so it is very difficult to view all the events, it will take monts n year 4 me . for example c:\abc if we set auditing on this folder i.e "abc" a root folder , so in event view it show that "abc" folder access by this user but in "abc" folder contains n numbers of folder, it don't show internal folder accesses in other words which user access internal fodler on what time , it only shows root folder access i.e abc and i want root folder events as well as internal folder & files events , which user access which folder & files on what time , user makes any changes or deletetion of files or whatever.....

can u please provide me better software to view this events easily

Thanks

Go to Administrative tools and then click on Local Security Policy. In that you can find a option where you can open Audit Policy section. Open the Audio Object Access and then there you can find audit properties for the users. You can simply connect them and share as per your need. You have to ensure that the settings are properly applied and check for references for the connectivity. Once done apply the settings.

Do you just need logging, or do you need reporting too? If you’re committed, you can get all of this info just my carefully monitoring the event logs. If you need filtering and reporting capabilities, it may be worth looking into a third party tool because native auditing capabilities don’t include reporting. I’d recommend NetWrix File Server Change Reporter or Quest Change Auditor for File Severs—both tools would send you customized reports with all the info you need.