Thread: Group Policy - Maximum Password Age

Group Policy - Maximum Password Age

Maximum password age does not work in Group Policy. I am using two DC here. Among which in the first one the maximum password age configured is 90 days. I had modified the same change it to 45 days. But it is not working. The password does not expire. It is weird to find this after a month. I forgot to check before. I found still users are able to login the system through old password. I went into the settings and found no changes. Can anyone guide me for the same.

Just reconfigure it once again. It is possible the settings are not replicated properly due to which you are getting the issue. It looks the logon is use cached credentials due to which you are getting the issue. To configure the same you can go in Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon. In the right side you can see Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon to the computer. Try this out and then check back.

To configure the policy you have to set the same on domain level. Or else the settings will not be applied. I will recommend you to use some third party software for the same. You can find the same on web. Those tool will give you a much more simple interface on configuring the settings.