Thread: Running dcpromo /adv offline

Running dcpromo /adv offline

We are running a Domain Controller since long time. We are now shifting it to a place that yet doesn't have connectivity to the domain. I thought that I will be able to use dcpromo /adv to at least get a local copy of the Active Directory working and then once connectivity is restored, everything will replicate into place. But some other scenario took place. While running the dcpromo /adv it wants the creds of a user than can run the dcpromo. I don’t know why it is happening

So what I want to know is it possible I can run dcpromo /adv offline using the restored system state? If yes, please let me know how?

Thank you.

Re: Running dcpromo /adv offline

If I have been at your place I would have installed the new DC's at the main site where everything is running fine. Anyways, in case they have replicated, you should change the IP Address for the new site and shut them down. Once done, with that configure Active directory sites and services with the new site and new subnet and finally move the DC to it. Now you just need to prepare your WAN connection and connect the DC to the switch on the new site. Hope this helps.

You can get more detailed information regarding this in the following article:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc782557.aspx

Thank you very much for the help Brandy but the actual problem I’m facing is that there is no domain connectivity at the location where the servers are being built. And hence I don’t think it will be possible to move them to a location with access to the domain. Is it correct?

Well as far as i know you will still need connection to create the objects for the new DC. This is independent of using IFM or not. It will prevent you from having excessive replication during promotion