Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

MS Installer Cleanup utility

XP Hardware

Old 24-04-2008

MS Installer Cleanup utility

There is some Palm desktop software that I am trying to uninstall and it is giving me some msi error and failed to install. After asking Palm support then told me to install Windows Installer CleanUp Utility and use it to delete the registry entries from a previously deleted version of their software. So, I got the cleanup utility from the microsoft website and tried to run it but it fails to install or run and gives me an error message that says:

Error: "ActiveX component cant create object: 'scripting.fileSystemObject"
Code: 800A01AD
Source: Microsoft VBscript runtime error

Can anyone help me to sort this problem out? Thanks

Old 25-04-2008

Re: MS Installer Cleanup utility

Have you tried to run the microsoft installer cleanup utility in Safe Mode. You just have to restart your pc and then press the F8 key continously until a screen appears where you have to choose to boot the computer in Safe Mode, after that run the utility in the same mode.
Old 13-08-2008

I think that MS Installer Cleanup utility is no longer available on the microsoft site for download, so that you can do is go to start and then in the Run box, type in regedit and then locate the below registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software

After that locate their software and then right click on it and delete and the close the registry editor. After that open HKEY_LOCAL_USER/software and do the same and close the registry editor. Now go to Run and then type - %Temp% and then go to edit and then select all and the delete all and close it as well. After that empty the recycle bin and the problem will be solved.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Tags: , ,