Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

High speed device to what USB port?

XP Hardware

Old 03-04-2008

High speed device to what USB port?

I have added USB hub having 4 ports to the back of my system and have connected my external HD to the same HUB as well. However when i am connecting HD direct to the port, i am getting an error message saying this:

The hubs shown in bold type have free ports that can support the Hi-Speed USB device.
"Recommendation--Disconnect the Unknown Device from its current port and then connect it to one of the ports on a hub shown in bold type"
(Generic USB Icon) Intel (R) ----USB 2 Enhanced Host -24DD
USB Root Hub (8 ports)

Unused Port
Unused Port
Unused Port
Unused Port
Unused Port
Unused Port
Unused Port
Unused Port

I have tried different port direct but i am getting the same error message every time. Is there anyone who can let me know where i have to connect the external HD for getting High speed connectivity.

Old 03-04-2008

Re: High speed device to what USB port?

Is your external HDD getting recognized after you connect it to the hub ??? If yes than i will suggest you to run some speed tests on it. There are possibilities that you might be getting high transfer rate and you might be getting the error just like that. So just ignore the message that you are getting, check out the transfer rate and let me know what you see there.
Old 04-04-2008

Re: High speed device to what USB port?

Yes the external HDD is getting recognized after i connect it to the port of the USB hub.

Anyways you have suggested me to run some speed tests?? can you just let me know from where can i run that speed test?? Do i have to install some software ?? I yes than which one?? I have never ran speed test by now and i don't have much idea about the same, so further guidance regarding this will be highly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2008

No you don't need to install any software, i think you misunderstood me. I was suggesting you to transfer some files to your External hard disk from your system and check out the transfer rate by clicking on More option that comes up in transferring window.
In case you are having data in your external drive currently, than back it up somewhere, format it completely with Fat32 or NTFS or whatever and try transferring large files like movies or some other stuffs in it for the testing purpose. If it takes too much time for transferring the files than you will have to carry out more troubleshooting. Just check it out and revert back to me with the transfer rate you get.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Tags: , ,