Thread: "USB Device Not Recognized" in USB2 ports but is recognized on USB1ports

"USB Device Not Recognized" in USB2 ports but is recognized on USB1ports

I have installed USB2 PCI card in my system running windows xp . I can connect optical mouse and USB stick to it and they get recognized without any issue but when i connect USB HDD enclosure i get an error message saying

USB Device Not Recognized , One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this
    problem, click this message.

If click on the message than i get another message saying "Try reconnecting the device. If Windows still does not recognize it, replace the device."

There is nothing wrong with the USB HDD enclosure as it gets recognized by USB1 ports without any issue. I don't know why i am getting the above error message only for the USB HDD and not for the optical mouse and USB stick.

I had faced this issue quite long time back, ill like to inform you that there are many people who have faced this error, some say its because of slight incompatibility of the USB2 PCI card and what not. However, i had tried below workaround to fix the same issue in my case. If you want than you can try following the same.
    • Go to start, click on RUN, type "cmd" without quotes and hit enter, once you get cmd in the list right click on it and select "Run as administrator"
    • Once you get command prompt opened (Black window), type "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" without quotes and hit enter
    • After that type "start devmgmt.msc" without quotes and hit enter, this will open device manager
    • Now select "Show hidden devices" from the 'View' menu, you will see a list of devices that are connected with their working status.
    • Simply delete all devices that are not working and are greyed out, they will get installed again when you will reconnect them next time.
    • For cleaning USB devices, click on '+' next to 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' and uninstall all of them except 'Host Controllers'.
    • Finally reboot your system, upon reboot you will be presented with 'Found New Hardware' pop-up in bottom left-hand corner. You don't have to do anything, just wait until they get installed automatically. You can cross check if all of the non working drivers has got installed or not through device manager.

Once they get installed you should not get ant error while connecting your HDD.