Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

how to format hard drive

XP Hardware

Old 02-03-2008

how to format hard drive

I?m sorry if it sounds silly but I really don?t know how to format the hard drives. When am trying to format my Drive, it says ?quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using the drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive.?

But I?ve already closed everything before clicking on ?Format?, so still why the it is not getting done. Can anyone please tell me how can I successfully format the hard drive or how to check which program is preventing it to be done.

Old 03-03-2008

Re: how to format hard drive

The question is really Silly but as you are newbie, let me tell you that this is not the way of formatting the hard drive. If am not wrong, you are not formatting any partition but the entire hard drive, right? If yes, there is a logic. How can you format the drive on which you are actually logged in? I mean, Win XP is running on the same hard drive so there is no way to format it. You will need to do it from any bootable drive.
Old 04-03-2008

Its silly hence I already said sorry. Anyways, can you please tell me which bootable drive and how to do the same? Many thanks.
Old 04-03-2008

It can be done using Windows XP installation CD itself. But as you are not aware of anything, I?ll suggest you not to try doing it yourself. Not atleast for the first time. Ask/call any technician and let him do this time, you watch him how he is doing. Next time you can do it yourself. It is not so hard but not so easy as well.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Tags: