Thread: No CD ROM detected in IBM Thinkpad R40

No CD ROM detected in IBM Thinkpad R40

My IBM Thinkpad R40 is not detecting my CD ROM. I checked in system properties but still there is no CD ROM detected. I tried to install that through Device Manager, nothing worked. I think there some issue with the system. I am using a Windows XP system and hope that this would be working well.

It can be some settings in bios which is disabling the CD rom. Can you see the drive in bios. If yes then it is not the issue with system. Your XP is missing appropriate drivers. The drive can fail to work, but it remains undected then. Check the bios settings one by one and see whether you find a proper settings in the same.

I am too having the same issue and yet I cannot find any solution. I checked in the bios, the drive is detected but it is not working at all. I bought a usb CD DVD drive and it works well. I think it would be a waste of time in struggling behind the same. There must be some kind of options available that fix the problem. Device Manager is or no use here.

In Device Manager if the drive is not detected then it is gone. The drive is damaged. If your system is under warranty then you can ask for replacement or else there is no way to fix it. My drive is spoiled a time ago and I am still using the system with usb drives. That is the only way. The more you can do is update the drivers. To check just insert Windows disk and boot from that. See that it boots or not.